How Old is too Old?

As Halloween creeps up, students, parents, and community members debate the Trick-or-Treating controversy: How Old is too Old?

How Old is too Old?

media by Auni Smith

by Berit Erickson, Auni Smith, and Sophie Martinez

Halloween festivities traditionally consist of clever costumes, frightening films, trick-or-treating, and the most appealing factor for majority of the population: tons of candy. While many believe there is a distinct age limit for whether or not festivities are appropriate to participate in, others think that the decision should be determined by a matter of personal opinion.

Costumes and playing pretend are staples in the making of a childhood, according to the substantial group of the population that cannot seem to let the tradition end.

“People may be attracted to trick-or-treating because it might remind them of doing it as a kid,” Owen Villas ‘20 said.

The argument comes with whether or not high school students should have reached a level of maturity where they can refrain from Halloween activities, or whether they should renounce as to respect the community members.

“Trick-or-treating has always been fun since you were little and it’s always a fun time so nobody wants to stop doing it,” Logan Groves ‘17 said.

On the day of October 31st, universal encouragement is offered to elementary aged kids to celebrate with costumes, but the same support is not prevalent when high schoolers are concerned. The idea of teenagers in costume roaming at night comes across as rather frightening to some parents. This is a major reason why there is an unspoken understanding that parents are bound to be irritated by the appearance of teenage groups ringing their doorbells on Halloween night.

“I don’t think that there is an age limit, but I think there is a creepy limit that is reached when you’re sixteen, seventeen, or eighteen,” Daniel Woodley ‘19 said.

For the parents of high school students, having their children continuing the tradition is much preferred over them attending parties where they might find themselves in trouble.

“As long as they’re off the streets and not going to parties or doing drugs, and they have a costume, they should be allowed to go out and trick-or-treat,” substitute teacher Linda Swanson said.