Douglas County vs Endrew F.

Douglas County is currently facing the Supreme Court in a case involving the question of what is the required amount of support public schools have to give to special needs students.

by Connor Fuchs, Media Editor

The Case: 

It all started with Endrew F (Drew), a student who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and ADHD. His parents claim that the school district has made little or no progress with his learning skills and questions the districts willingness to continue helping a student with special needs.

In the 1990’s, the Americans with Disabilities act was passed giving those people including students with disabilities the same benefits as those without needs have in society. According to the county, Endrew was planned to receive 37 hours of special education services a week once he entered fifth grade.

Endrew and his family took him out of Douglas County and claim that the District is not doing enough to provide “free and appropriate” education under the Individuals Disabilities Education Act. As proof of their claims they provided that Endrew has shown significant progress in the other school district he is in now.

The family took the case to court late last year to the state level, where it was then sent to the Supreme Court in Washington DC. The case was heard and debated for little more than an hour on January 11. The court is still in the decision making process and a verdict on the case should be announced in the coming months.

The case has gotten national attention now and According to the Denver Post, attracted a huge line that wrapped from the front of the court house to first street in Washington.

For More Information on What Happened in the Courtroom:

U.S. Supreme Court hears case on special-needs students that started in Colorado