Mental Health

by Alec Sutula, Sports Editor

As Christmas can be called one of the happiest times of the year, all good things have to come to an end. Since October we have always had a holiday to look forward too, from halloween all the way to new years. But as that dreaded ball drops and the christmas decorations get put away, we have to move on from the holiday season. January for a lot of people can be one of the hardest months to get through. The weather is gloomy, school starts back up again, and we have a full year till Christmas. Mental health plays a very prominent role in the month of January. The holiday season is accompanied with many stress factors, sleep pattern issues and family conflicts.  A major contributor is the holiday season brings back the memory of lost loved ones throughout the year. Just like how the family traditions may not be the same without that special someone.

“ January is a very difficult month”, Mackenzie Palladino ‘19 said. “ I wish we could just skip it and move on in the year”.

January has been given the title “ January blues”, by many. January can be a very isolating time for people with mental health issues. Family finally leaves town and the isolation period begins.

“ I love having family in town but it isn’t fun when they have to leave because it brings us back to reality”, Andrew Sutula ‘22 said.

For students it begins the long haul once again of another high school semester , filled with grades, state testing, and for Juniors, the SAT. Students are suppose to be recharged since having close to three weeks off, but according to most it’s the opposite.

“I wasn’t recharged because during break my sleep schedule gets all thrown off and I’m either up super late and then proceed to sleep in to ten or eleven”, Cole Lynch ‘19 said.

When January hits for upperclassmen the stress especially sets in. Juniors have a short two months to prepare for what can help determine their college success, with the SAT. For seniors it is their last semester in high school. This is the last time seniors have a wish week or a prom. For many including myself it can be a very hard time. Seniors have all the excitement in the world with going to college and being free. However, what outsiders don’t see is how some are not ready to move on just yet. They enjoy where they are at in life but have to realize that when one door closes, another one opens.

“ Im very excited for college but it is hard to realize that this is my last semester here”, Brandon Dodd ‘19 said.

Even with January being such a hard month for every generation this is the time where talking can help significantly. Everyone from family to the counselors are there for discussion to get you through this tough time.