Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

What Teachers Have to Say

October 22, 2020

Online learning has not only been an adjustment for students but for teachers as well; they have had to adapt their teaching styles and try to figure out how to best teach students in an entirely different manner.

Matt Sassali, social studies

Should teachers be allowed to require that students turn their cameras on?

“I think it’s a case-by-case scenario. I don’t think there’s one blanket rule we should have… I think that teachers can… ask, “hey, when you chime in on discussion, turn your camera on so we can see your face.”

What is your policy about cameras on or off?

“I tell my kids, when it’s a lesson [during which] I’m just teaching and they’re listening, to turn all their cameras off just to give them that privacy and also to record those meetings… I don’t want any recording of a student’s image that I’m going to then publish to my Canvas site.”

How does being on Zoom affect teaching?

“Non-verbal cues are really important to teachers, and it’s hard right now. Google Meets or Zoom are the only times we get verbal cues– when everybody’s in class, they have masks on. It is a valuable tool to be able to see kids’ faces.”

Aaron Paul, social studies

“If I ever record my presentations, I have to have the cameras off because students have legal rights, and I don’t want to put your pictures out there in a recording… because that’s your image and you have privacy rights… Honestly, anybody could really get in[to a Google Meet] if they wanted to. You have to have a DCSD email, but you guys work together on Fridays– if I record something, who in your house is working with you?”

Do you think students turning cameras off affects their engagement during class?

“I think [engagement] depends on the class. Honestly, I think if you’re in an elective or if you’re in a class that interests you, it doesn’t matter that we’re home or here. [In] some of these required classes, some students will maybe be easily distracted, and I think that can happen online or in a classroom. I am just very happy to see the numbers I am online. I’m teaching some new criminal justice classes so these kids really have to be online because this is a college course, so they’re going to fall behind quickly if they’re not paying attention.”

How have you tried to help transition students into online learning?

“I’ve been very honest with these kids how difficult this has to be for them, and for me. I think once these kids understand I’m in the same boat they are, as in that from a teacher perspective, we’re swamped– we’re learning new things like students are– that builds some trust… I’ve tried to make it very clear that we’re in this together and that we’ll get through it.

Mary Burnham, English 

How does having cameras turned off affect teaching?

It is hard to teach a group of students online that you can’t see their facial recognition and check for their understanding in those ways. It’s just kind of trying to figure out a new way of checking for understanding as a teacher, and that’s a challenge. I think it’s a case-by-case thing, and I think all of us need to learn better etiquette when we’re on these kind of calls.”