Burning the American Flag

by Haley Lena, Details and Design Editor

The burning of our symbol of Liberty and Freedom, the American Flag, in the parking lot on Nov. 9, has initiated a firestorm of comments and conversation throughout the school and the community — most of it on social media.
Some wonder if burning the flag is even legal. After the United States Supreme Court Case, Texas v. Johnson in 1989, the Supreme Court have ruled that due to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, it is unconstitutional for the government to prohibit the desecration of the flag.

Just because you are protected by the Law to burn the flag does not mean that you should.

I am extremely appalled by the students’ act and am embarrassed to be in the same class as these students. They are not bad people for having an opinion, but the students don’t realize how disrespectful they are being to all of the men and women serving and protecting this country.
“I am extremely bothered,” graduate of 2014 and Army Private said. “It just shows how childish they are. They are burning their symbol of freedom.”
As a descendent of generations of military servicemen and women, I am shocked and angered by how offensive the students actions were. My grandfather served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and I have only seen him angry two times in my life — one of those times was yesterday when I told him about the burning of the flag on school campus.
“The American flag represents the blood of all the men and women who have died protecting and defending our country,” Strategic Air Commander Tony Strnad said.
These students may have committed this act after seeing it on social media and doing it to get laughs and attention, but it’s no joke to Veterans. Talking to family and friends who have served in the military, they only have one thing to say — “It’s a disgrace.”
“It’s disrespectful to our country and our school. We owe America a chance no matter what and our school to show we care. In a positive and respectful way,” Seth Spindler 18’ said.
Many students at our school have family and friends fighting for our country. Even security guards, custodians, and teachers, such as Science Teacher Eric Schmidt and Science Teacher Bart Blumberg have served in the Military.
“I am very honored to have served,” Schmidt said. “I am offended by the burning of the flag, but it is their constitutional right to do that sort of thing.”
I am not ashamed or angered by these students having their own opinions or expressing their rights, I am ashamed by how the students and other protesters are equating the flag to a person.
“I think they had every right to do it and I respect their views and I agree with some of their reasons to protest,” Lauren Carter 17’ said.
Burning the American Flag is spreading across the country in protest of Donald Trump’s unexpected win. The flag doesn’t represent the President of the United States, it represents all the men and women who risked their lives for us. It represents the liberty and equality for all. It represents justice and humanity.
“My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American mothers and daughters.” – Ruth Apperson Rous

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Anti-Trump protesters should be burning the American Flag? Leave a comment or tell us what you think at: [email protected]