A Field Full of Flag Football

A recap of the Bringing Home the Gold Homecoming Powder Puff event
After her Powder Puff team the “Touchdown Teasers” scored, Anouck Doublet ‘25 celebrates with her teammates Sept. 16. Powder Puff took place at Echo Park Stadium at 6 p.m. “I thought it was super special, and it was really nice to see all my friends just get together and do something really fun,” Doublet said.
media by Rosie Benson

Cleats sink into turf and sweat smudges face paint as teams of athletes play on EchoPark Stadium’s field. Teams sporting jerseys decorated with glitter and puffy paint stand face-to-face at the 50-yard line, waiting for the whistle to blow. It’s time to win the Powder Puff tournament.

Powder Puff is an annual tradition during Homecoming week as girls-only, student-formed flag football teams face off against each other to take the first place title. The teams assemble a roster, paying $5 per player and gather student coaches as they practice leading up to the game. 

“I thought [Powder Puff] was super special, and it was really nice to see all my like friends just get together and do something I don’t know anything about,” Touchdown Tease player Anouck Doublet ‘25 said.

The event started at 6:00 p.m. and had teams play 12-minute rounds with three minute break periods in between. The field was split into two to accommodate more matches simultaneously. Student Council (StuCo) members assisted in running the event at the stadium and faculty volunteers ran and supervised the matches.

“[Powder Puff is] really fun. We’ve kept most of the same team since freshman year, so it’s really fun to come back with the same people and do better and better every year,” Fumble Time player Emerson McDonald ‘26 said. 

After making it through the semifinals, the Hunters and Fumble Time faced off during the finals at 8:00 p.m. The game was played full-field and lasted 15 minutes before the Hunters took their win 8-0 W.

Donate to the Rock Online
$125
$5000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Rock Canyon High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, submit to competitions, travel to events and cover our annual website hosting costs.