Snow Season Styles

Eye-catching fashion trends on the slopes.
Nathan Kim ‘24 stands atop the slopes at Breckenridge after several hours of snowboarding Jan. 8. The cold conditions on the mountain prompted Kim to use an over-the-helmet hoodie, helping him withstand the windchill.
media by photo courtesy of Nathan Kim ’24

It’s no surprise that Colorado is a snow-obsessed state. Every year, millions of skiers and snowboarders flock to the slopes, avid skiers and beginners alike. 

This snow culture is seen amongst many Jags, bringing new skiers and snowboarders as well as seasoned mountaineers onto the slopes.

Each new season also brings new fashion styles and snow gear. These styles have caught on to cast huge trends on the mountain, catching many students’ eyes in the process.

Here’s what students think about the latest fashions on the slopes, as well as what they would personally recommend getting.

Tyler Haug ‘25 poses with Ryan Scherrer ‘25 in Karen Whitney’s AP Language Composition class while wearing his Glade Optics snow goggles Jan. 19. The duo brought their snow gear in order to show school spirit for Winter Week. (media by Aditya Khanolkar)

Tyler Haug ‘25

“I’ve skied for around nine years and enjoy skiing at Winter Park and Beaver Creek. I haven’t seen many of these on the slopes, but I’ve been loving my Glade Optics snow goggles. They’re at a good price right now, and they’re honestly really good quality as well,” Tyler Haug ’25 said.

Sujosh Das ‘27

“I’ve been skiing since I was five years old, so ten years now. When I go up, I’ll usually hit up Monarch or Vail. I used to go with my dad, but now I go with friends more often. What I’ve seen that’s been really popular with a bunch of skiers, especially in Vail, has been Arc’teryx jackets. They’re wildly expensive but they are for sure worth it, since the jackets use waterproof gore-tex fabric,” Sujosh Das ‘27 said.

Link to purchase Arc’teryx Beta Jacket (Men’s)

Abbie McDowell ‘25

“I have been skiing ever since I was five and I usually ski at Copper Mountain! I am loving the more comfy and cute outfits this year. I love ski fashion, but if I had to choose one particular item, I would have to go with a pair of comfy boots, probably from a brand like UGG or Columbia,” Abbie McDowell ’25 said.

Link to purchase UGG Boots (Women’s)

Nathan Kim ‘24

Nathan Kim ‘24 stands atop the slopes at Breckenridge after several hours of snowboarding Jan. 8. The cold conditions on the mountain prompted Kim to use an over-the-helmet hoodie, helping him withstand the windchill. (media by photo courtesy of Nathan Kim ’24)

“I started when I was seven, but now I mostly board at Breckenridge. I don’t really have favorites when it comes to my gear, but an essential item is any hoodie that you can fit over your helmet. This just helps me when it comes to wind chills, and it adds to the overall look,” Nathan Kim ’24.

Kiefer Duval ‘26

“I’ve been skiing since I was three. I try to go to Crested Butte if I have time, but I regularly go to Breckenridge. I’ve seen a bunch of overalls on the slopes this year, but I use Carhartt overalls since they provide insulation,” Kiefer Duval ‘26 said.

Link to purchase Carhartt Bib Overalls (Men’s)

Elijah Nguyen ‘25

“I have been snowboarding for one year now, mostly on the Ikon mountains. I feel like the gear you wear is dependent on the weather. For a really cold powder day, a big waterproof jacket is essential. For slushy spring days, I can have more fun with what I wear. A hoodie with a thrifted graphic tee is great, and it makes me feel like Zeb Powell,” Elijah Nguyen ‘25 said.

Patryk Zalewski ‘25 skis across fresh backcountry snow with his new Rossignol skis Jan. 7. Zalewski used the run to practice using the new skis. (media by photo courtesy of Patryk Zalewski ‘25)

Link to purchase Patagonia 3L Waterproof Jacket (Men’s)

Patryk Zalewski ‘25

“I’ve been skiing for fifteen years, and I mostly ski at Winter Park these days, but I’ve gone everywhere. I’ve seen a trend over the past few years of skis growing wider and wider. I think another really fun characteristic of skis I would recommend to most people are double rockers as they allow for tons of fun tricks, but I personally ski on Rossignol BlackOps Holyshred 98s,” Patryk Zalewski ‘25 said.