Which “Wonka” Song Wins?

“Wonka” songs ordered from most to least liked.
A graphic displays results from the polls to introduce the article
media by Ally Kelley

The most recent “Wonka” movie, which came out Dec. 15, 2023, and starred Timothee Chalamet, shows how Willy Wonka created his chocolate factory.

This movie differs from other Willy Wonka movies as it is a musical with 11 songs that are sung by characters in the movie. Now that the movie’s hype is over, are its songs still liked too?

Several polls were conducted on @rcrockmedia on Instagram to see how songs were ranked by students.

1. “You Never Had Chocolate Like This” 

54% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “You Never Had Chocolate Like This” takes place while selling chocolate to civilians. Wonka and his friends are hiding from the police while trying to make enough money to get out of Scrubbits. Meanwhile, the town is talking about how great his chocolates are.

2. “A World of Your Own”

50% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “A World of Your Own” takes place after opening his shop. Wonka introduces the shop that he bought, showing theatrics and making everything edible. The community goes wild, eating everything, and the group starts to make lots of money, but they find out the candy was contaminated when everyone starts growing hair.

3. “Scrub Scrub”

45% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “Scrub Scrub” takes place after Wonka is tricked by Bleacher and Ms. Scrubbit. Larry Chucklesworth, Lottie Bell, Abacus Crunch and Noodle all describe working at Scrubbits to Willy Wonka.

4. “Oompa Loompa”

40% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Hugh Grant, “Oompa Loompa” takes place once Wonka catches his chocolate thief. An oompa loompa, or as Wonka called him, “the little orange man,” tells the tale of why he is stealing chocolates from Wonka. Wonka stole the chocolates from the Oompa Loompa while he was asleep, so now he needs what he stole one-thousandfold. 

5. “Oompa Loompa (Reprise)”

33% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Hugh Grant, “Oompa Loompa (reprise)” takes place during the credits. The Oompa Loompa sings about what ended up happening to all the main characters of the movie. Abicus Crunch can go home, Lottie Bell goes back to her job as a telephone operator and Larry Chucklesworth goes back to stand up and get back with his ex-wife. Bleacher and Ms. Scrubbit end up getting arrested, but not without a fight.

6. “Pure Imagination”

30% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “Pure Imagination” takes place at the end of the movie. He sings the song as he introduces his new factory, which is in a castle in the mountains. He also offers a job to the oompa loompa that had been following him. 

7. “A Hatful of Dreams”

18% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “A Hatful Dreams” takes place at the movie’s beginning. Wonka talks about his first day in the city, as he slowly loses money until he has one silver sovereign left, which he gives to a woman in need.

8. “Sweet Tooth”

12% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “Sweet Tooth” takes place underground, in a secret chocolate lair. The three chocolatiers, Arthur Slugworth, Prodnose and Ficklegruber, attempt to make the chief of the police force, Wonka, to stop selling his chocolates, as it will put them out of business. 

9. “For a Moment”

10% of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “For a Moment” takes place while Wonka gets the ingredients he needs for more chocolate. While Wonka gets the milk he needs for his chocolates with Noodle, Noodle sings about how she feels free with Wonka. Meanwhile, Wonka is coming up with words to rhyme with Noodle, after she calls him “Silly Willy.”

10. “You’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This (Hoverchocs)”

Five percent of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “You’ve Never Had Chocolate Like This (Hoverchocs),” takes place when Willy Wonka begins to sell chocolate outside of an unowned store. He introduces his chocolates to world-famous chocolatiers, who tell him his chocolates are no good.

11. “Sorry, Noodle”

Four percent of students said this was one of their favorite songs. Sung by Timothée Chalamet, “Sorry, Noodle” takes place while Wonka is on a boat. The three chocolatiers, Arthur Slugworth, Prodnose and Ficklegruber, paid Wonka to quit his chocolate business and to get everyone who was stuck at Scrubbits out, however, Wonka had to leave town. In this song, he expresses his sorrow for leaving his friends but soon realizes that it was all a trick by the chocolatiers.