Recent Scores
  • May 1 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 12, Heritage High School - 2
  • Apr 30 / JV BaseballRock Canyon High School - 11, Castle View High School - 9
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Grandview High School - 3
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - 9, Niwot Invite - 35
  • Apr 29 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, Pine Creek High School - 6
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Third, Liberty Bell Invite - 55
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Did Not Place, Randall Hess Roughrider Invite -
  • Apr 26 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 2, Erie High School - 3
  • Apr 26 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Third, Liberty Bell Invite - 55
  • Apr 25 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, Palmer Ridge High School - 11
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

Back to School Blues: First Quarter Completed

How Jags feel about first quarter.
media by Max Simms
Camden Owens ‘26 finishes his math homework during an off period Aug. 31. This was the first year Owens got an off period in his schedule. “I think [last year’s] schedule was better,” Owens said.

The beginning of school can be an exciting time for students everywhere. 

About two months ago, many students began their first, second, third or fourth year in high school. They had to adapt to the new year after being on summer break for a few months. Freshmen may have been, and may still be, nervous for their first year of high school, while many seniors look to their futures. 

Dylan Edwards ‘24 listens to a lesson in Brandon Hommel’s Chemistry class Aug. 31. Edwards reached out to Hommel during Access to get help understanding the lesson. “My teachers are really nice, but I still hate waking up early every morning,” Edwards said. “But, getting to school at 8:10 a.m. on Friday is actually really nice. I would like a lot of A’s and [want to] do really well on assignments [this year].” (media by Max Simms)
Dylan Owens ‘24 does homework in the 9000s pod during Access Aug. 31. Owens worked on a project for his math class. “School is fantastic. I have everything turned in on time and I haven’t got behind,” Owens said. “The only thing that’s good so far [about the new schedule] is that Access is in the middle of the day, so students with siblings don’t have to wait for them.” (media by Max Simms)

Senior Mason Liu listens to music while he works in his room Sept. 1. Liu used music to help him focus and have motivation to wrap up homework for the day. “I feel like not wanting to do anything,” Liu said. (media by Max Simms)

Many students may not have been too happy about returning to school, as summer is their biggest break.

After so many days of staying up late, sleeping in and not having homework, the start of first quarter’s abrupt change to waking up early and going to class at 7:35 a.m. was a sudden change. 

Some students may have enjoyed the return to school. Others may have opposed it.

It is important to note factors for those enjoying versus disliking the return. For example, if students enjoy their class, or if they had uneventful–or packed–summers.

Busy schedules can prevent students from connecting with their friends, so the return to school may offer a chance to change that. 

It’s not just seeing friends again, though. Many students joined clubs, sports and activities during the first quarter that weren’t available over the summer.

For example, in high school, fall offers football, volleyball, softball and many other sports during the fall season, with many more to come.

“I’m feeling pretty eager to continue onto the next phases of my life, but the biggest challenges that this year provides are simply maintaining a balance of life: reserving time in my day for school, work, social life and personal wellness,” senior Jackson Hitchler said. “All I hope for this year is to catch more of the basketball games. They’re always a blast to see.”

Overall, going surviving the first quarter every year can be a challenge, or can be fairly easy for students. Eventually, though, everyone gets back into their system and finds their place. 

Either way, this new year has something interesting to offer for everybody. Good luck in these next three quarters!