Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

OPINION: Access: How Can It Be Helpful?

Why more students should take advantage of the time.
media by Ally Kelley
A graphic introduces the article “Access: How Can It Be Helpful?”

Picture this: it’s a Tuesday morning in the middle of November. All you can think about in math class is, “How am I going to do well on this final?” 

The answer for most people is one word: Access. 

Whether they use it by going to a teacher for help, making up missing assignments, or doing homework for a class, Access is specifically helpful at this time of the year. Access can be beneficial because of academic workloads, falling behind in classes, or teachers adding new curriculum so closely to finals. 

If you were to ask most students what they do during Access, their answers may vary.

“I feel like I just catch up with all my homework, and I do a lot of studying before my next classes,” Kishan Vahalia ‘25 said. 

Homework is a great thing to do during Access because most teachers allow students to sit in their rooms so they have a quiet area to work, or even so students can ask clarifying questions while doing their homework so students can get the most out of their learning. 

Chemistry teacher Brandon Hommel uses Access as a time to deliver more practice to students.

“[Students] tell me what they’re struggling with and then I give them specific practice problems or specific things we go over on the board,” Hommel said. 

When teachers, administration and counselors advertise Access, they talk about how it is a time to get help on various concepts from various teachers. 

“[Access is a great time to get] one-on-one time with your teacher,” Nathan Shrestha ‘25 said. 

Talking to a teacher outside of class time is the best way to get your questions answered because the teachers have the most time to answer questions. If you ask a teacher a question about something during class, they will probably give you a shorter and less detailed answer than they would in Access because they need to keep the class flowing.

Is Access helpful?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“One-on-one work can be more beneficial because they can focus on whatever the student needs instead of the whole class,” Hommel said. 

Is Access helpful? Yes, it is. Access is one of the best ways to get extra help in any of your classes unless you have one of those teachers who always schedule their doctor appointments during Access. 

If you go to a teacher’s Access enough and you prove to them that you are putting in the effort, then more often than not, the teacher will make that evident in your grade. For example, if you have an 89.26% in Chemistry, and you went to that teacher’s Access frequently, then they might round your grade up or give you a little bit of extra credit for it.