A Valentine’s Day to Remember

Seniors+Mitch+Mullen+and+Dalton+McKeel+show+off+their+fiesta-themed+gear+in+honor+of+senior+night+during+the+boys+varsity+basketball+game+at+home+against+Castle+View+High+School%2C+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+14.++

media by Makenna Allen

Seniors Mitch Mullen and Dalton McKeel show off their fiesta-themed gear in honor of senior night during the boys varsity basketball game at home against Castle View High School, Wednesday, Feb. 14.

by Makenna Allen, Reporter

The crowd erupts in cheers at the night of firsts and lasts begins.  It is to be the first time that head coach for the boys varsity basketball team, Kent Grams, achieves his 100th win.  It is to be the last time that the basketball, poms, and cheer seniors cross the court with their parents.  It is senior night.  It is the boys varsity basketball game against Castle View High School.

Wednesday, Feb. 14, the home game against the Castle Rock team kicked-off with a ceremony to recognize the basketball seniors.  The boys joined their parents in a parade across the court that cheer and poms seniors were to make later on, during the game’s halftime.  

“After four years of being on poms and three years on varsity, it was really fun to be recognized at the basketball game,” Michaela Fullerton ‘18 said.  

The tradition also sparked emotion within the student section whose members had dressed in fiesta-themed gear to honor the school’s “señors.”  

“My favorite part of the game was seeing the seniors get honored,” Alessia Merrill ‘18 said.  “It’s been such a great season and I loved seeing how much they mean to our school.”

Following this halftime ceremony, the basketball Jags proceeded to sweep the Sabercats, emerging victorious from the game with a final score of 77 to 34.  Though this was the team’s 21st win this season, the success was especially significant because it marked Grams’ 100th win of his varsity coaching career at Rock Canyon.

It is a pretty cool milestone and it is awesome to share it with all the players, alumni, parents, and the RC community,” Grams said.  

Indeed, as the school united around the successes of its members, this Valentine’s Day game proved to be unique for students, athletes, parents, and staff alike.