Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

Canyon Crazies vs. the Red Sea

Student section standoffs, technicals and overtime take place at the varsity boys’ basketball game against Regis on Jan. 19.

On Jan. 19 at 7 p.m., two schools rush through the doors of the jungle to see varsity boys basketball Jaguars battle the Regis Jesuit Raiders.

These two sections have faced off before. Last year, both games between the Jags and the Raiders ended in close scores: 59-57 W during the regular season Jan. 20 and 47-46 L during playoffs March 3. 

The crowd noise of both student sections reached the 129-decibel mark during the game before halftime even began. At halftime, the score was 38-37, Jags in the lead. 

“We were all still locked in at halftime. We knew we were going to be in a dogfight and have to play until the final buzzer,” varsity forward Andrew Abner ‘25 said.

Throughout the third quarter, the score was 55-51, with Jags still in the lead. The Raiders followed closely, and the student sections matched them, becoming progressively louder and more competitive. 

Throughout this quarter and the entirety of the game, officiators announced repeatedly that students storming the court after the game was prohibited.

During the fourth quarter, Regis took the lead, with the score 72-71. At the end, when there was half a second left, a time-out was called. However, the Regis student section rushed the court, both entering the court before the game was over and going against what the faculty had said prior.

This resulted in the referees calling a meeting and issuing a technical foul against the Raiders, while also a technical foul against the Jaguars after an unsportsmanlike play against Kasen Lehmen ‘25.

Regis shot two free throws, making only one, creating tension between teams and student sections. Shooting guard Mac Terry ‘24 took to the line after Regis for the team’s technical foul free throws. Terry shot two free throws and made both. 

This tied up the score at 73-73, sending the teams into overtime. 

In the course of overtime, the Jags scored 15 more points while the Raiders only scored 12. The Jaguars came away with a win 87-84. 

“This win is huge for us. Beating a good team and it being somewhat of a rivalry gave us a lot of momentum to go and beat even better teams in the future,” shooting guard Kasen Lehman ‘25 said. 

During the next game, the Jaguars played against Legend High School Jan. 23 and took the victory with a final score of 50-45 W.

Their next game takes place at 7 p.m. tonight, Jan. 26 against ThunderRidge High School.