Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Making Baskets With Unified

The Unified team takes on the ThunderRidge Grizzlies.

Cheers fill the gym as the Unified team takes the court, ready to play. 

The Jags faced the ThunderRidge Grizzlies in a basketball game at home in the jungle Jan. 23. 

The Unified program brings different SSN students together to participate in athletic competitions with other Douglas County schools. In total, nine schools participate in sports such as basketball, wiffle ball and kickball. 

The goal of the Unified sports program is inclusion. There are no tournaments or rivals, and scores are rarely kept. 

Rock Canyon is playing four more basketball games in February to finish out their season. Their next game takes place against the school’s science department on Tuesday, Feb. 6 during Access in the gym. Then, their next game takes place on Feb. 9 at 5:30 p.m. against Incredibles in the home gym.

Their final game of the season takes place on Feb. 15 at 5 p.m. against Castle View High School (CVHS) at CVHS. 

Brodie Lyle ‘26 positions the basket to aid an SSN player Jan. 23. Student coaches helped the players by helping to move them across the court and giving them directions on what to do. “It’s cool to see them have a lot of fun playing a sport that they wouldn’t usually get to play. All of the players get really into the game and it’s fun to play and coach with them,” Lyle said.
Jonathan Gunther ‘25 handles the ball while the Jags have possession Jan. 23. At this game, the Unified team subbed between two different groups so that every kid was able to play. (media by Rosie Benson)
Special Education teacher Jerome Price watches his team play on the court Jan. 23. Price played with the students, offering support and adding competition to the game. “My favorite part is seeing the smiles on their faces and everybody unite with each other. For them, this is their happy space,” Price said.
Mark Larson ‘25 dribbles the ball before shooting Jan. 23. The Unified team has four more basketball games in February. “Playing helps me think and practice lining up, and taking my time,” Larson said.
Special Education teacher Jolynn Duris plays on the court during the Unified game Jan. 23. Both peer coaches and Special Education teachers joined players on the court to provide extra assistance and direction. “I just love how much the kids love playing, love each other. They’re all smiles for everybody. It’s just positivity everywhere,” Duris said. (media by Rosie Benson)
Sam Dizmang ‘25 moves down the court to follow his teammates Jan. 23. During Unified games, each team has two chances to score a point before the ball gets turned over to the opposing team. (media by Rosie Benson)
Chloe Bishop ‘24 prepares to shoot the ball during the Unified game Jan. 23. At this game, the score was not kept, but other than that, it followed regular basketball game rules. “My favorite part of playing is seeing everybody with the school spirit,” Bishop said.
The Unified team gathers together with ThunderRidge’s Unified team for a group picture after their game Jan. 23. Nine schools across Douglas County participate in the Unified sports program. “I love watching the Unified games because everyone is so energetic and I think it is a great way to include kids,” Raleigh Salazar ‘26 said.