Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Fun Times in Florida

The varsity poms team competes in Nationals, taking home sixth and eighth place in two of their performances.
In+a+kickline%2C+the+varsity+poms+team+competes+in+the+Game-Day+finals+Feb.+3.+The+team+competed+in+two+other+categories+during+Nationals%3A+Small+Pom%2C+where+they+placed+sixth%2C+along+with+Small+Jazz%2C+where+the+team+didn%E2%80%99t+place.+
media by photo courtesy of Universal Event Photography
In a kickline, the varsity poms team competes in the Game-Day finals Feb. 3. The team competed in two other categories during Nationals: Small Pom, where they placed sixth, along with Small Jazz, where the team didn’t place.

The lights dim and the music starts. The crowd goes quiet, waiting for the next performance to take place on stage. 

The National Dance Team Championship was held Feb. 2 to Feb. 4 at the ESPN World Wide Sports Complex. The poms team flew out Wednesday, Jan. 29, where they practiced for five hours on Thursday and competed for the next three days.

While the team was competing, they still practiced between one to two hours each day to prepare each routine and get ready for when they would compete. 

Following each routine at practice, the team would rewatch their footage and determine what needed to be fixed in preparation for Finals performances.

Mick Jaguar pumps up his fist while the varsity poms team yells while competing in the final Pom Game-Day performance Feb. 3. The team placed eighth overall in the Medium Game-Day.
(media by photo courtesy of Universal Event Photography)

“We get a score each round from the judges and comments. As a team, we watch videos and look for areas we can improve in the next performance and then practice and run drills to make those corrections,” varsity head coach Christina Leone said.

Determining what routines the team competed in at Nationals, they looked at two different things: the style of dance and the number of dancers competing on the team. There were six style categories for teams to choose from, according to Inside Info: NDCT 2024, and three division sizes.

The team performed in three categories: Small Pom, where they placed sixth; Medium Game-Day, where they placed eighth; and Small Jazz, which the team did not finish in and did not receive any ranking. 

“This year, our divisions were very big. We had about 70 teams in our pom and jazz divisions! So, placing sixth in pom was a huge accomplishment,” Leone said. “It has been since 2019 that we didn’t advance to the jazz finals, so that was a disappointing part of the competition this year, but also a great opportunity to learn!” 

Teams compete in Preliminaries, then Semifinals, to where they eventually compete in Finals, if they make it. 

“The National Championship is relentless and is a single elimination process, so 50% of the teams [are] eliminated after the first round, then another 25% cut in the second round,” Leone said. 

Nationals was the last competition for the varsity poms team to compete in for the season. The team banquet took place March 5 at 7 p.m. at the Viewhouse. The team will begin tryouts for the ‘24-’25 season, starting March and going until April.

The varsity poms team poses in front of the ESPN World Wide Sports Complex World Ball before the start of Nationals Feb. 1. The team competed from Feb. 2 to Feb. 4 in Orlando, Florida. The poms team competed a week after the JV and varsity cheer teams. (media by Media Courtesy of Universal Event Photography)