BREAKING: Power Outage Leaves Community in Dark for Two Hours

After a two-hour long power outage spanning three high schools in Highlands Ranch, power was restored at 1:23 PM.

media by Amanda Brauchler

Kitchen staff manually enter orders during second lunch after the power outage at noon April 8. Around 2000 student orders need to be manually entered into the lunch system after power was restored.

by Amanda Brauchler and Jana Seal

Power was restored today after an outage that affected about three and a half mile radius of the Douglas County community, including both Mountain Vista and Rock Canyon schools and their feeders.

Lights shut off and pod doors slammed shut abruptly around noon April 8, and within seconds back-up-generated lights flickered on. The most common, initial reaction from teachers was to put their classrooms in lock out, but resume teaching.

“It was pitch black in [my office], I grabbed my radio and went out to see what it was. I was notified right away that another school’s power went out too,” School Resource Officer Ryan Wood said. “I just thought maybe a transformer blew or somebody hit something that made the power go out here.”

The power outage occurred 25 minutes before second lunch started, leaving the lunch line and kitchen responsible for manually entering around 2000 student orders. The food served during lunch was room-temperature due to the lack of electricity for heat or refrigeration.

“Oh my god,” Diana Caliz, Kitchen Manager said in reaction to the outage. “We have to write down every number and every name and every item you guys get. Now we backtrack and charge all of those students that came when the power was off.”

As of now, there is no explanation for the power outage. We reached out to Xcel Energy, the company that manages Rock Canyon’s power, and have not received a comment.