FRIDAY FACULTY FEATURE: How Katerina Casas Helps Others

This week’s look into the life of Counselor Katerina Casas.

media by Renya Schymik

Counselor Katerina Casas talks to Ally Kelley ’26 in her office. Casas enjoys helping high school aged students, which is why she became a counselor. “This [age] is the pathway of getting to where you want to go and helping you mold into who you want to be. And so I can help in any part of that. I am happy to,” Casas said.

by Renya Schymik, Reporter

In the halls of the counseling office, room 1540 is sprinkled with art pieces on the walls and a zen garden on the table. This room belongs to school counselor Katerina Casas, who counsels students with last names P-SCH.

Q: How long have you been counseling? 

A: This will be my fourth year as a counselor, my first year here at Rock Canyon. 

Q: So, how do you like it so far? 

A: I am loving it. It is great. It is a great atmosphere. Everyone is very positive, and very upbeat, which I really enjoy. 

Q: What is your favorite part of counseling? 

A: My favorite part of counseling would be the diverse parts of my day, getting to know different kinds of students and seeing where people want to go in their futures and how I can best prepare them for that. And then anything that is going on currently in their lives that they might be wanting some help with too. So that kind of diversity. 

Q: Why did you choose to become a counselor? 

A: Well, I kind of felt like the job chose me. I really enjoy helping people and I think it is important, especially at this time of life. A lot is going on and having someone to bounce ideas off of or just vent to [is important]. This is the pathway of getting to where you want to go and helping you mold into who you want to be. And so I can help in any part of that. I am happy to. It is super inspirational.