The Heat of The Moment: A Homecoming Bonfire Recap

A recap of the Homecoming Bonfire and the people that were a part of it.
The Homecoming Bonfire burns in the night Sept. 21. According to Fire Science, the fire was approximately 25 ft. high and 500 degrees Celsius. “The Homecoming Bonfire is always a cool tradition to be a part of and it’s cool to see the fire itself and how high it can get,” Mason Conrad ‘24 said.
media by Avalon Nielsen

Fire blazing, heat roaring, smoke billowing and hundreds of students huddled together.

This is the Homecoming Bonfire. 

The Homecoming Bonfire was one of many Homecoming events, following the parade and Chili Dinner Sept. 21. The Bonfire is a large fire built and monitored by the Fire Science students and staff. It was located outside of the lower student lot 7:30 p.m. Sept. 21. The bonfire is free and open to all students, staff and families.

Jaylyn Luber ‘27 twirls a lit baton to kick off the Homecoming Bonfire Sept. 21. Luber started off the Bonfire to the song “Fireball” by Pitbull ft. John Ryan while throwing batons caught on fire. “To prepare for my Bonfire performance, I got together with both of my coaches to work on tricks that would look good and be safe with fire,” Luber said. “Throwing fire is something I always look forward to because it’s such a big deal in the baton-twirling world. It’s really fun to do something unusual and honestly, it’s not too hot.” (media by Avalon Nielsen)
The South Metro Fire Rescue lights the Homecoming Bonfire outside the lower student lot Sept. 21. South Metro Fire Rescue ran the fire and Fire Science students ensured that safety precautions, such as the fire hose, were working. “[Fire Science students] had a very diminished role, [as] South Metro Fire is in charge, we [made] sure that the fire hose wasn’t tampered with,” Fire Science student Beckham Arnold ‘25 said. (media by Baylie Van Horn Turnidge)
A crowd surrounds the Bonfire outside the lower student lot during Homecoming Week 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 21. The Bonfire took place after the Homecoming Parade and a chili dinner, which was hosted by Choir. “This was my first bonfire and it was a great way to be able to hang out with all of my friends,” Zari Jensen ‘27 said. (media by Bayle Van Horn Turnidge)
The Homecoming Bonfire burns in the night Sept. 21. According to Fire Science, the fire was approximately 25 ft. high and 500 degrees Celsius. “The Homecoming Bonfire is always a cool tradition to be a part of and it’s cool to see the fire itself and how high it can get,” Mason Conrad ‘24 said. (media by Avalon Nielsen)