Competing from the Heart

See a recap of this year’s Health Occupations Student of America (HOSA – Future Health Professionals) State Leadership Conference.
With State President Moksha Nemalipuri ‘24 being the last one to enter the stage, this year’s State Officer Team of HOSA waves to the crowd at the opening ceremony after their introductions Feb. 19. Each state officer’s introduction was accompanied by a displayed slide with their photo and a chosen quote. Following the greeting, the state officers proceeded to welcome competing students and undergo the process of officially starting the 2024 HOSA State Leadership Conference. “It felt great being in an environment with all future healthcare professionals,” Cooduvalli said. “However, meeting the State Officer Team was the coolest part about the opening ceremony, as they all stood and spoke so confidently.”
media by Bella Lin

Business suits on, projects perfected, and competition-ready!

58 students participated in the 2024 Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA – Future Health Professionals) State Leadership Conference began Feb. 19 and continued until Feb. 21. They stayed at the Sonesta Denver Downtown Hotel, just a walk away from the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, the location of the conference. 

Over three days, students competed in their signed-up events. They presented projects to judges, studied for exams, performed practicals and more. 

HOSA – Future Health Professionals is a career and technical student organization that centers around the research and provision of job experiences in the healthcare industry. Students can gain the opportunities to research occupations within the medical field and learn to develop health-related skills. 

Throughout the year, leading up to the 2024 HOSA State Conference, competitors grew their knowledge of healthcare and health-related topics while preparing for tests and presentations. 

While competitions began on the morning of Feb. 19, the official opening ceremony did not start until 8 p.m. that night and ended at 10 p.m. 

The ballroom held the ceremony, and with bright lights of blue and red illuminating the room, focus was centered around the wide stage at the front. HOSA members sat in the numerous rows of chairs set up to view the podium.

The ceremony set off with an introduction of this year’s 2023-2024 State Officer Team. Members included Moksha Nemalipuri ‘24 and Medha Kuntamukkla ‘25. After initial announcements were completed, guest speakers were invited on to stage to showcase their displays.

Brian Davis, an orthopedic surgeon from the Boulder Centre for Orthopedics, explained and informed the audience through his presentation “Challenges Facing Healthcare Workers (and How to Overcome Them).” 

Here, he emphasized the constant struggles and problems faced by medical staff and physicians in their workplace, showcasing different statistics, examples, and facts in order to effectively inform the audience. The keynote speaker emphasized the HOSA 2024 State Conference theme: Match Your Potential.  

Saanvi Cooduvalli ‘26 is a member who attended the opening ceremony and was later elected to be a part of the 2024-2025 State Officer Team.

Many also took the opportunity to learn from the many symposiums and educational presentations presented throughout the state conference. Such activities ranged from lessons on types of wound closures to speeches about life as a chiropractor. A diverse collection of medical fields were touched and dissected through these extra sessions.

When they were not actively competing in their events, students often had free time in between their competitions. A variety of leisure activities were offered during the state conferences. Students laughed at Zumba, joked around at karaoke and experimented with their creative side while painting t-shirts.

Lily Zhang ‘26 threads string through beads at the friendship bracelet-making station Feb. 21. As students either waited for their events or for the closing ceremony to begin, they participated in projects and attended the offered presentations on different health topics. Furthermore, some kids played cards with their peers and partook in friendly games. “HOSA had many fun activities for students to do after or before their events. Activities helped students pass time in a fun way such as bracelet making,” Zhang said. (media by Bella Lin)

For meals, the Rock Canyon High School chapter provided breakfast and dinner, which were already pre-paid for by the students attending the state conference. Lunch packs were offered at the hotel, while some students ventured to nearby restaurants. 

Manik Thapa ‘26 participated in the Public Service Announcement event, for which he constructed an in-depth presentation concerning the harmful effects of fentanyl, as well as a video depicting the health issues surrounding the topic. 

“The most difficult part of this project was meeting up and creating the video. We had to create intricate designs of photography and get a crazy camera just to record,” Thapa said. “During the presentation, it took months to think of what to say and how to present it, and after that, we had to rehearse everything.”

Hasini Chelamacherla ‘26 competed in the Nutrition and Health Career Display events. 

“I made a model, and I also made a poster. You had to mold the clay, so it was kind of hard and it took days,” Chelamacherla said.

Preparing to take a bite of the pasta purchased from Noodles & Company at 16th Street in Denver, Puja Kotapati ‘26 laughs with her friends during her outdoor lunch Feb. 21. Having no competitive events that day, Kotapati spent her time completing homework and catching up on school work. During mealtimes, she walked around the downtown area with her peers. “It was really fun,” Kotapati said. “It was nice freedom, and it was great spending time with friends and having a lot of free time.”

The HOSA State Leadership Conference came to a conclusion with the closing ceremony from 6 to 8 p.m. 

During award ceremonies, the top 10 in each event were projected for the audience to see, with the final three placements announced out loud. Students received medals for their accomplishments as well as pins for recognition of their hard work. 

After awards finished being passed out, the 2024-2025 State Officer Team was announced. Saanvi Cooduvalli ‘26, one of the students running for a position in state office, earned the title of State Vice President of Membership. 

“It was very relieving when they called my name on stage,” Cooduvalli ‘26 said. “I had put in three months of work for my position, and I was very glad all my hard work paid off.”

With the conclusion of the closing ceremony, Jags walked from the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel to the Sonesta Denver Downtown Hotel. They picked up their luggage and waited to be picked up by their parents or carpooled with friends. 

For some, the state conference was rewarding. Ihita Kataru placed second in Biomedical Debate, a bracket-type event in which competitors discussed and argued on medical-related topics. She also earned gold for Public Health, where participants created projects to inform the public about certain health issues, this year’s theme being phone addiction.

“Basically, we made a skit where we acted as though it was an investigation to find the reasons and symptoms of phone addiction,” Kataru said. 

Even some of those who did not gain any medals found a positive side. 

“I think HOSA state is very fun,” Rebecca Grapp said. “It’s a very immersive, interactive and educational experience.”

Saanvi Mahesh ‘24 has been a member of HOSA for three years and is the Vice President of Operations for the school’s chapter.

“I have learned so much about different medical professions while improving my leadership skills as a chapter officer and district representative,” Mahesh said. “State Leadership Conference this year was both fun and bittersweet, considering it was my last one!”