Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

media by Amanda Brauchler

Graphic for student voter information guide.

Voter Guide to Colorado’s 2020 Ballot Measures

Nov. 3, Colorado residents will vote on eleven issues on the Colorado ballot. Use this guide to each amendment or proposition on Colorado's 2020 election ballot to vote and make your voice heard this election.

The 2020 Colorado ballot consists of Amendments and Propositions. Amendments refer to making changes in the current Colorado Constitution. Propositions refer to establishing new laws or programs.

With the election coming up, and 11 issues on the Colorado ballot, sometimes reading through the BlueBook or a Google search or a government website can leave one lost in the whirlwind of confusing wording, obscure political vocabulary, and verbose legal sentences. Below is the background on each ballot issue and a researched description of what a vote “yes” and a vote “no” mean for each. In addition, each issue’s argument will be included, along with student opinions. There will also be links to all of the sources used to conduct research, enabling students to do further research independently. Ballotpedia and the Colorado Blue Book will be linked throughout.

Students’ Thoughts on WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE:

“It is important for kids to get active in politics because this year has so much division and animosity when it comes to opposing views. By us [teenagers] wanting to show our voice and wanting to participate in civics it shows the type of generation we will be politically. By promoting activity in politics, it is going to reflect on the type of generation we will be in the future. I’m working at a voting place, I will be vo… I am really excited to vote, it’s my first year to vote, and I’m excited to have a say in such a divided situation and I ultimately hope to bring some clarity to it.” Jacob Aragon ‘21 said.

“I think that it’s important for young people to get involved in this election cycle because it really sets the tone for the rest of our generation for when we are all eligible to vote; we’ll already have been using our voices and been proactive and gotten our message across without being able to vote, so when we are able to vote, it really will make a difference in this world if we haven’t already.” Grant DeRose ‘21 said.

“I think that this election is a lot different than any election in the past, it’s a very pivotal one for our democracy. I think our country is more divided now than it has been in past years, so I’m really excited to contribute this year. I would say that even if you don’t vote, it’s still a vote for a certain candidate, so it’s really important to be educated and learn about who you’re going to vote for and have a voice and participate because democracy only works if we all participate.” Dara Burkholder ‘21 said.

Amendment B: Repeal the Gallagher Amendment of 1982
Amendment C: Changes the amount of years it takes for a charitable organization to obtain a charitable gambling license from five years to three years
Amendment 76: Change the wording of the Colorado Constitution from stating that “every” citizen to “only” citizens of 18 years of age or more can vote
Amendment 77: Allow residents of Central City, Black Hawk City, and Cripple Creek City to vote whether to increase the single-bet limit and include new game types
Proposition EE: Increase tobacco tax and establish taxes on nicotine products
Proposition 113: Make Colorado part of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact
Proposition 114: Reintroduce gray wolves to the Colorado ecosystem
Proposition 115: Ban abortion after 22 weeks of pregnancy
Proposition 116: Lower the Colorado state income tax from 4.63% to 4.55%
Proposition 117: Require Colorado voter approval of the establishment of specific enterprises exempt from TABOR
Proposition 118: Create paid medical and family leave in Colorado

the Rock Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$125
$5000