Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

media by Amanda Brauchler

Proposition 113 makes CO part of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

Proposition 113: Make Colorado part of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

Proposition 113

BACKGROUND: The electoral college is made up of electors from each state, the number of electors each state has based on its population. When voters from each state vote, the majority vote of that state is the vote of each elector in that state. There are 538 electors in the U.S., and a president needs to win the majority of electoral college votes (270 or more) to win the election. Every state, except Maine and Nebraska, gives all of its electoral college votes to the presidential candidate that won the popular vote in that state. Maine and Nebraska divide their electoral college votes based on the proportion of popular votes each candidate won in their state (BBC). The electoral college is supposed to protect littler states, ensuring that they still have a voice in the election (Time). It is possible for a presidential candidate to win the popular vote but not the electoral college vote, which is what ultimately determines who wins the presidency.

WHAT A VOTE “YES” MEANS: Voting YES makes Colorado part of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which gives Colorado’s nine electoral college votes to the winner of the popular vote nation-wide.

EXPLANATION: Colorado’s electoral college votes represent the nation as a whole and not just the citizens of Colorado (Ballotpedia).

“I believe the winner of the popular vote should receive our electoral votes because I believe that citizen voice should be represented in our government,” Savannah Brassell ‘21 said.

WHAT A VOTE “NO” MEANS: Voting NO means that Colorado gives its nine electoral college votes to the winner of the popular vote in Colorado specifically. If Colorado does not join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, whichever way the majority of Coloradans vote will contribute to the winner of the electoral college votes (Ballotpedia).

EXPLANATION: Passing this proposition could take away voter incentive in Colorado (thus affecting the outcome of the national popular vote), and it would mean that politicians would not campaign as heavily in Colorado, as the electoral college votes are what determine who wins the presidency (Ballotpedia).

“[Passing Proposition 113] would mean that our electoral votes would be worth less, and the results in other states would determine what would happen with our votes. Only if every state agreed to give their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote would I say that would be a good idea,” Rory Bartlett ‘21 said.

the Rock Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$125
$5000