Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Day in the Life: Game Day for Varsity Softball

Stanford University Commit Sydney Boulaphinh ‘24 runs through her game day.
media by Claire Bauer
Varsity softball captain and shortstop Sydney Boulaphinh ‘24 swings to hit the ball during the fifth inning Oct. 3. Boulaphinh committed to play Division 1 collegiate softball for Stanford University during her junior year. “This season was one of the worst seasons in Rock Canyon history,” Boulaphinh said. “I think this team had a lot of expectations and relied on many people to carry, and that never happened. I believe most of the games we lost, we could’ve won. It’s the little things that matter–when it came down to who got to 21 outs first, we weren’t the team.”

The clock strikes 4:00 p.m. 

The freshly groomed field shines in the sun. Sweat drips down your neck and the heat blisters. That is how you know: it’s game time.

For varsity softball shortstop Sydney Boulaphinh ‘24, it’s also Senior Night, and this will be her second to last game of her last high school season. 

She originally started playing softball at a very young age.

“My brother played baseball and I would always go to his games, but as you get older, girls don’t get to play baseball. They have to join softball,” Boulaphinh said.

Boulaphinh has spent all four of her high school years on the varsity softball team, dedicated to this sport, and now it is time to show her family and all her supporters that the work she has done has finally paid off.

Throughout her 2022-23 season, she missed quite a few games due to all of her college visits which included Ole Miss, Arizona, Alabama, Virginia, and Stanford. But, in the end, it was all worth it after her commitment.

On Oct. 10, 2022, Boulaphinh announced her official commitment to Stanford University after receiving over 20 D1 offers. For Boulaphinh it was a difficult decision, but after she and her family discussed it, they all decided that Stanford was the best fit for her both academically and athletically.

Boulaphinh spends her game days working on homework, or, if she doesn’t have school the day of the game, she will go to the batting cages with her dad or to the gym.

“I live in Parker, so I usually go hit at Chap’s softball cages,” Boulaphinh said.

After the school day ends, that’s when Boulaphinh knows it’s game time. First, she puts on her uniform and get ready in the locker room. Before she goes to the locker room, Boulaphinh sits in her car and does her hair joins her teammates to finish in the locker room. 

“When we get ready we like to make TikToks, tell each other about our day and do each other’s hair,” Boulaphinh said.

Getting ready together helps the team bond and also helps everyone feel comfortable, which means they will play more relaxed and have a successful game, whether it’s home or away.

Varsity softball captain and shortstop Sydney Boulaphinh ‘24 smiles as she walks onto the field with her father during Senior Night before the team’s game against Chaparral High School Oct. 3. Boulaphinh received flowers and a rock painted with her name and number to celebrate her last home game with the team. The final score of the game was 10-20 L. “The [painted] rocks [have] been a tradition to remember all the past players. By leaving the rocks on the field, they know they will always be a part of Rock Canyon,” Boulaphinh said. (media by Claire Bauer)

Boulaphinh prefers away game warmups.

“At away games, we tend to have a more organized warm-up with different stations. This is because of being with more equipment than we need. At home, that equipment sits in the shed,” Boulaphinh said.

The seventh inning ends. The game is now over and it is now time to congratulate each other and go home. But, Boulaphinh’s day isn’t over just yet. 

After games, she goes home, often getting back very late. Boulaphinh will normally spend the rest of her night doing homework or studying for any quizzes the next day due to her busy academic schedule.

Although Boulaphinh is done with the high school season, she trains at least five days a week, with three days of lifting and two days of speed training, with games on the weekends. 

If she isn’t playing, then she will train six days a week and work with her dad. Because Boulaphinh’s club team is a national team, most of her teammates live in different states, so they only play together and don’t practice together.

Boulaphinh will begin playing for Stanford in the fall of 2024.

Dressed in Stanford gear, Sydney Boulaphinh ‘24 poses for a commitment picture. Boulaphinh posted the photo to her Instagram Oct. 10, 2022 when she announced her official commitment to Stanford. “My commitment was a family decision. We all talked about it and knew Stanford was where I wanted to go,” Boulaphinh said. (media by photo courtesy of Sydney Boulaphinh ’24)