Recent Scores
  • May 1 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 12, Heritage High School - 2
  • Apr 30 / JV BaseballRock Canyon High School - 11, Castle View High School - 9
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Grandview High School - 3
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - 9, Niwot Invite - 35
  • Apr 29 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, Pine Creek High School - 6
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Third, Liberty Bell Invite - 55
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Did Not Place, Randall Hess Roughrider Invite -
  • Apr 26 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 2, Erie High School - 3
  • Apr 26 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Third, Liberty Bell Invite - 55
  • Apr 25 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, Palmer Ridge High School - 11
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Strategy and Sociality

Student study tips and working in class strategies.
Brady+Kempf+%E2%80%9824%2C+Dylan+Owens+%E2%80%9824+and+Alex+Kohl+%E2%80%9824+work+together+to+complete+a+study+guide+for+math+on+Aug.+28.+Many+students+have+visited+teachers+for+help+during+Access+like+Mrs.+Hunt%2C+who+teaches+algebra.+It+usually+depends+on+the+assignment%2C+but+I+enjoy+working+in+a+group+because+we+can+all+bounce+ideas+off+each+other+and+help+everyone+understand+the+subject%2C%E2%80%9D+Kohl+said.+
media by Max Simms
Brady Kempf ‘24, Dylan Owens ‘24 and Alex Kohl ‘24 work together to complete a study guide for math on Aug. 28. Many students have visited teachers for help during Access like Mrs. Hunt, who teaches algebra. It usually depends on the assignment, but I enjoy working in a group because we can all bounce ideas off each other and help everyone understand the subject,” Kohl said.

Every student has their own methods of approaching school assignments.  Some of these methods have helped these students for years. There isn’t just one method specifically, there are tons, and each has its unique way of helping the student with school work. It doesn’t have to be a method either; it could be a skill or a technique that is beneficial to the student for whatever assignment they’re working on.

You may have your method or preference for working through an assignment, but here’s what some Jaguars recommend.

Brady Kempf ‘24

Brady Kempf ‘24 writes down homework from all of his classes using the Notes app on his phone Oct. 3. While some students may use a notebook or planner, Kempf has always used the Notes app on iOS for any needed reminders. “I think it’s important to use a planner to help me remember stuff. If I write it out and have a sheet to remind myself what to do, I won’t have to worry about forgetting it,” Kempf said. (media by Max Simms)

Q: Would you say you’re better off working alone or in a group?

A: I’d work in a group because there are more minds to think and complete the assignment.

Q: Are you more of a team leader or a team member?

A: I couldn’t be a group leader, I’d rather just add on to what people are saying.

Q: What skills do you have in a group?

A: I’m pretty good at proposing ideas to the group.

Q: How can you keep track of work?

A: I use the Notes app on my phone to keep track of assignments and due dates.

Q: What are some methods that can help you with an assignment?

A: Before I begin an essay, I use a template on Google Docs to give me a headstart on what I’m writing about.

Declan Simms ‘26

Declan Simms ‘26 reviews notes for Wes Chapman’s AP World History class Oct. 9. Delcan found that the best way for him to remember given information is to take notes by having separate notebooks for each class. “I usually review my notes at home to help with homework I have from my classes which helps me stay organized,” Simms said. (media by Max Simms)

Q: Would you say you’re a visual learner?

A: Yeah, I work better when I see examples of work that’s in front of me.

Q: Are you better working solo, or in groups?

A: Probably in groups, so I can get different ideas and stuff.

Q: Whenever you’re stressed out on an assignment, what are some things that can help you calm down? 

A: I like getting clarification from my teachers and getting help when I need it.

Q: Do you wait until the last minute to do work or do you do it right away?

A:  Probably at the last minute, I’m more of a procrastinator.

Q: What are some skills that you have in a group?

A: I’m a good organizer, and I help provide opinions on certain stuff.

Eila Liu ‘25 

Eila Liu ‘25 visits the Canvas calendar to stay updated on her classes Oct. 2. The Canvas calendar keeps track of assignments and due dates for students. “I like to use a digital planner because it’s a lot quicker for taking small notes on what’s due from my classes, and it’s a larger reminder since I constantly check Canvas,” Liu said. (media by Max Simms)

Q: Are you better solo or working with a group on an assignment?

A: I personally work better as an individual because I find that working with a group leads to conflicting opinions, which makes it harder to coordinate in general.

Q: Are you a team leader or just a teammate?

A: I think it depends on the situation. If need be, I’ll step up, but I prefer to be a teammate because it’s hard to make everyone work together under your lead. 

Q: Do you have any skills you use now for schoolwork that could help you in the future?

A: There are only a few skills that’d help me in the future, one of them would be presentation skills and public speaking. This is because everywhere you go, you have to speak with people and “sell” yourself to everyone.

Q: Why do you think it’s important for a student to have their own method for doing work?

A: I think it’s the most efficient way for every individual. It’d be inefficient if everyone were to follow a single standardized method because I think it’d stunt growth. 

Q: How do you keep track of work?

A: I have two planners, one is physical and the other is digital. I use the Canvas calendar because it’s really easy to note things on there. My physical one is used for memorizing what I have to do.

James Bogue ‘27

Q: Would you say you’re better off working in groups or solo?

A: Probably solo.

Q: How can you keep track of your work:

A: Me, personally, I use folders and binders and stuff like that.

Q: Do you take notes on a computer or a notebook?

A: I use a notebook.

Q: Do you wait until the last minute to complete assignments, or do you complete them as soon as possible?

A: Most of the time, I wait until the last minute, but sometimes I complete an assignment pretty quickly.

Q: What skills do you have to bring to a group?

A: I’m pretty good at research and I typically really help the group to work together.

From what these students have to say, it’s obvious they all have different ways of studying and keeping track of work. Some may be procrastinators or visual learners, but everyone has their own method of approaching schoolwork, and whatever works best for them is what they should stick with. 

Not only are these responses interviews, but they also give other students who struggle with studying or keeping track of work some tips, and for many students, that can be crucial for completing work on time and of quality.