Recent Scores
  • May 22 / Varsity Girls SoccerRock Canyon High School - 0, Mountain Vista High School - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity Girls SoccerRock Canyon High School - 3, Heritage High School - 0
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 17, Highlands Ranch High School - 1
  • May 1 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 12, Heritage High School - 2
  • Apr 30 / JV BaseballRock Canyon High School - 11, Castle View High School - 9
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Grandview High School - 3
  • Apr 30 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - 9, Niwot Invite - 35
  • Apr 29 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, Pine Creek High School - 6
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - 3rd, Liberty Bell Invite - 55
  • Apr 27 / Varsity Track and FieldRock Canyon High School - Did Not Place, Randall Hess Roughrider Invite -
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

FRIDAY FACULTY FEATURE: Progressing with Payton Holloway

This week’s look into this science teacher and coach, and his career.
media by Ella Heimer
Science teacher Payton Holloway uses a paper to explain El Nino and La Nina to his student aid Aby Blue ‘26 Nov. 14. Holloway’s class completed a lab to analyze patterns. “I was explaining about how we are going to set up the lab to help students use El Nino and La Nina to analyze fishing patterns,” Holloway said. “Having a student aid to help me set it up helps me with my time management in class.”

Being a new teacher at a new school can be challenging. 

In August of 2021, Payton Holloway started his first year teaching at Rock Canyon High School freshmen Earth Environmental Science. 

“The very first class I ever taught, I was so nervous. It was all going well until I had to pull down the projector screen,” Holloway said. “It took me two minutes to pull down the screen, everybody was trying not to laugh. It was so embarrassing.” 

But, difficult projector screens weren’t going to get the best of him. 

As the years progressed, Holloway found his bearings, discovering his way of teaching and getting to know his students. He now teaches both Earth Environmental Science and Geology.

“Being able to get to know students is my favorite part of teaching. It’s rewarding to see my students grow. Although science isn’t for everybody, I hope that building a relationship with students can help them learn because they are having fun,” Holloway said. 

“If you can build a relationship with a student and they trust and listen to you, you can teach them about anything.”

— Payton Holloway

Holloway decided to teach when he was in high school, at Broomfield High School. He had many teachers that inspired him. 

“[My teacher] Mrs. Davidson made science more hands-on, which made it very interesting for us. She genuinely cared about us as students and that made us care about her class,” Holloway said.

Holloway first attended Black Hills State University in South Dakota for track and field. Then, he attended Metro State University of Denver and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Secondary Science Education, along with an emphasis in Environmental Science. He feels that he is becoming a better teacher every year. 

“It’s easy to be a good teacher when you are at a school where students like to go to school too, and have coworkers that support you,” Holloway said. 

Now, in his third year of teaching, he embraces it, no longer nervous about teaching every day. Instead, he focuses on the relationships. He also works as a coach, training the boys on the sophomore boys basketball team and jumps for the track team.

“If you can build a relationship with a student and they trust and listen to you, you can teach them about anything,” Holloway said.