Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

TSA Takes on State

31 teams of Jags take home awards after participating in Colorado Technology Student Association’s (TSA) state leadership conference.

At 8 a.m. Feb. 22, 149 members of the school’s Technology Student Association (TSA) chapter who advanced to TSA’s state conference headed into the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel, decked from head to toe in business professional attire in preparation for their three days of competition.

TSA, a career and technical student organization (CTSO), provides students with the opportunity to sharpen their STEM skills, leadership, creativity and collaboration through competitive events on district, state and national scales. Members of the school who qualified for the state conference competed and placed at a district or school level during the TSA district conference held at Legacy Campus on Dec. 8.

“After districts, me and my teams used the feedback that we got from districts to work on improving our projects for State,” TSA member Ihita Kataru ‘26 said.

Over the course of Feb. 22 to Feb. 24, the state-qualifying students participated in 35 STEM-based events, tests and projects.

Each event had two submission types: early submissions took place for some events and on-site submissions took place for other events involving physical supplementary materials. Each event selected qualifying students for semifinal interview-style presentations to demonstrate their project and determine the final rankings for each team/individual’s event at the closing ceremony.

Jonathan Duong ‘26, Tanish Lodha ‘26 and Sen Yakandawala ‘26 review their model and documentation portfolio before their semifinal interview presentation for the Architectural Design event Feb. 23. The team finalized their presentation during their extra free time due to the delay of the event’s presentation time. “Architectural Design was a fun and competitive experience, and working with my friends to build a cool house was super fun,” Duong said. (media by Dee Lee)

The three-day conference opened with chapter faculty check-in from 8 to 9 a.m., followed by on-site project submissions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. During the project submissions, semifinal interview presentations for selected early submission teams took place.

On-site submissions teams were judged throughout the day with subsequent semifinal interview presentations for them taking place later in the day, and throughout the rest of the conference. In their free time, students were able to use meal tickets for lunch and dinner and explore the hotel’s amenities. The opening ceremony took place at 8:30 p.m.

“As a state officer, [TSA] was easily one of the busiest times of the year but I really did enjoy it,” Sen Yakandawala ‘26 said. “It was super enjoyable being able to see all of the other chapters and delegations doing super well this year while also having fun at the social events we hosted.”

In the following days, semifinal interview presentations continued on and several social activities took place. Colorado TSA and their state conference committees operated merchandise shops, workshops, officer meet and greets and social activities.

Activities offered by Colorado TSA’s Social Activities Committee included a Jumbo Jenga tournament, scavenger hunt, escape room, industry workshops, networking events and an “Officer Pie in the Face” fundraiser.

Olivia Fang ‘26 and Ashley Chang ‘26 laugh while supervising the officer donation bins for the conference’s “Officer Pie in the Face” event Feb. 23. Colorado TSA’s Social Activities Committee put together these donation bins to help fund a scholarship to send underprivileged chapters to TSA Nationals. “TSA was a really fun experience and I’m grateful to have done well in my events, as well as making many new friends,” Chang said.

Shreya Ganesh ‘24 and Sen Yakandawala ‘26 got pied in the face after their donation bins received the most amount of funds to be donated to the organization’s scholarship fund for students attending the TSA national conference in June. 

“As someone who served on the fundraising committee, I’m so glad that our pieing initiative was really successful and I cannot be more grateful for the huge turnout that we received,” Ganesh said.

After being pied, Colorado TSA President Shreya Ganesh ‘24 screams and takes a tin off of her face Feb. 23. Ganesh raised the most money in their officer donation bins which led her to be selected for the conference’s “Officer Pie in the Face” event. “I think that the pieing had to be one of my favorite parts of the 2023-2024 State conference, as not only was it a fun and casual event that the members could enjoy, but the funds from the event are being used to create scholarships to send underprivileged chapters to nationals,” Ganesh said. (media by Dee Lee)

As events wrapped up, the conference’s closing ceremony took place at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 24. The closing ceremony recognized several sectors and programs of Colorado TSA, unveiled the 2024-2025 state officer team, with two Rock Canyon students on the board–Junior Officer Sen Yakandawala ‘26 and State President Hana Lee ‘25–and announced the final rankings of teams in each event.

31 teams and individual Jags placed within the top three across 22 events.

Cierra Lorenz ‘26 and her team took home third place in Manufacturing Prototype.

“Working on manufacturing was very fun, as I got to work with my friends to develop a product that combined all of our talents,” Lorenz said. “Ultimately, I am very happy with placing third and grateful to go against such talented competitors.”

Cierra Lorenz ‘26 practices her sales pitch in preparation for her semifinal interview presentation for the Manufacturing Prototype event Feb. 22. Lorenz and her team qualified for the semifinal round Thursday morning, and eventually placed third overall. “The interview went well and while initially I was nervous, I felt I was able to utilize those feelings to fuel the passion in my sales pitch,” Lorenz said.

After the closing ceremony, students grabbed their luggage and projects and headed home for the rest of the weekend. Teams that placed within the top three of any event are eligible to move on to TSA’s national conference in Orlando, Florida from June 26-30.

“TSA state was one of [my] most memorable moments this year. It’s something that I look forward to every year just because of the fun experiences that come along with it. As a school, we have a really strong chapter that performs better than almost all other schools and that is something that I’m really proud about, being in such a strong and unified community,” TSA member Aryan Pagar ‘24 said. “Thanks to Mr. Cassic, all of our advisors and also our officers, TSA State was truly a great experience where I had the opportunity to get some real-world STEM experience, and I also had the opportunity to connect closer with friends of like-minded interests. I highly encourage people to participate in TSA and I hope to see more people join the organization next year.”