Colorado All State Honor Band

Emily McDonald ‘19 practices her clarinet during access in the band room Jan. 10. McDonald received the music after being accepted into the Colorado All State band and practiced before the combined musical rehearsals. “I am most excited to meet other players from around the state that have worked just as hard to get here and are just as excited about music as I am. As the best in the state changes, the community of musicians chosen is unique to any year prior and I’m really excited to meet this years members,” McDonald said.

by Emily Wilson, Editor

Music by definition is a strand of notes put together to create a vocal or instrument sound; but to Emily McDonald, it is a way of life. As first chair clarinet in the Symphonic Band, first chair in Continental League Honor Band, a member of the marching band and sixth chair in the Colorado All State Band, McDonald lives and breathes music.

“I have been playing since fifth grade so eight years now,” McDonald said. “I love being able to express myself through music and make an emotional connection with the audience as a performer.”

Throughout her high school career, McDonald has auditioned and been accepted into many different bands, but this is her first year making it into the All State Band. The band is a group of highly talented students from all around the state that come together for only a few practices, then put on a concert Saturday, March 30 presumably at the University of Northern Colorado.

“It’s super hard to get into All State. In all of Douglas County last year there were only four students that made it. We had one from Rock Canyon. This year, I think there are six or seven and two of them are from our school,” Music director Zachary Fruits said.

McDonald spent about six months of preparation for the audition where she went into a room with a judge at her allotted time, performed live, and was recorded. However, while the judge in the room at the time of the audition judged and graded her, the director of bands at UNC, Richard Mayne, determined the final list of accomplished musicians of who made it in. McDonald auditioned Nov. 30 and found out the good news during the week of Dec. 17.

“I am extremely excited and proud to have made it in because of all the work I have put into band throughout my high school career with All State having been a goal from the start. Because of all of the amazing musicians throughout the state, it is not an easy honor band to get in to and even auditioning takes months of preparation, so to have it all pay off is something I am so proud of and excited for going into this new experience in my last semester of high school,” McDonald said.

Ethan Mead ‘20 practices his saxophone during access in the band room Jan. 10. Mead was accepted into the Colorado All State Band and practiced the music so he will be prepared for the combined rehearsals. “I worked on the music every single day and spent a lot of time with my lesson teacher seeing what I could do to get better. It feels nice to have all that hard work pay off and be proud of my accomplishments,” Mead said.
Rachael Huxley ’19 practices her flute in the band room after school Jan. 15. After being selected as first alternate in the All State Band, Huxley continued to practice the music in case she is selected to join the band as a full time member. “The day of the audition was stressful but fun because we got to spend time with other band kids,” Huxley said.