BREAKING: STEM School in Highlands Ranch in Active Shooting; Updates

Rock Canyon in lockout situation after active shooter at STEM School, 5.8 miles away.

media by Amanda Brauchler

David Sapienza’s sixth period AP Euro History class huddles in lockdown, May 7 after an abrupt announcement from Principal Andy Abner. Mr. Abner announced that STEM School, 5.8 miles away from Rock Canyon, has an active shooter alert currently. The school was reduced to a lockout at 2:20pm with secure perimeter, students can leave with parent supervision.

by Amanda Brauchler, Editor in Chief

Police responded to STEM School off Ridgeline Boulevard in Highlands Ranch around 1:53 pm, May 7, to a call of active fire. The report from STEM, a school about 5.8 miles away from Rock Canyon, sent Douglas County schools into lockdown.

Rock Canyon was sent into lockdown during their sixth period classes. The lockdown was reduced to a lockout with secure perimeter around 2:20 pm, with an announcement from Principal Andy Abner. As of now, students can only be released from school into parent supervision, either at the flag pole or in front of the rock.

Police are asking people to avoid the area around STEM school and for parents to not crowd. If students from STEM need to be picked up, the can be gotten from Northridge Rec Center. In a media briefing around 3:00pm, it was announced that two suspects are in custody and “multiple” students are hurt. STEM is still in an active situation.

(Update- 3:22pm) Rock Canyon will remain in supervised release, parents must be at the school to pick up students. Students must show a teacher a text stating they are at school for students to be able to leave their classroom. All after school activities cancelled in Douglas County.

Follow our twitter, @RCRockMedia for faster updates. https://twitter.com/RCRockMedia/status/1125858503208210433