Students Make a Statement: Taking the Anti-Trump Narrative to the Streets

Bold, vibrant signs amplify the passionate voices of anti-Trump student protestors who line the intersection between University and Quebec outside the post office Sept. 18 in response to the Trump Rally that occurred in in the same location a day earlier.

by Kira Zizzo, Editor in Chief

Cate Collins ‘21 focuses on drawing straight lines for the poster she plans to hold at the anti-Trump protest Sept. 18. Protestors decorated their posters with sequins, rhinestones, various colors of paint, and an assortment of Sharpies.“People who care about other people are considered to be super left and crazy and radical, but I don’t really consider myself that,” Collins said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
Among an arrangement of finished posters, Tess Leonard ‘21 writes on blank posterboard to design another anti-Trump poster at Paintbrush Park Sept. 18. Protestors listened to songs by Nicki Minaj and Cardi B to energize themselves for the upcoming protest. “I think what the Trump supporters were doing was hurtful and the message that Donald Trump sends to minorities, to women, it’s really hurtful and I want us to spread a message of love and that you can be whoever you want and do whatever you want,” Leonard said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
At Paintbrush Park, Sara Smith ‘21 converses with fellow protestors before they attend the official protest outside the post office Sept. 18. In preparation for the protest, students met to make signs to hold, displaying their political opinions. “People need to realize that this doesn’t just involve adults, it involves teenagers like us and it’s important for everyone to recognize that if they have the power to vote, they should vote,” Rosa Lee ‘21 said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
In preparation for the upcoming anti-Trump protest, Tanner Leonard ‘21 paints his “Make America Gay Again” sign at Paintbrush Park Sept. 18. He protested in favor of LGBTQ+ rights and against President Trump’s Administration. “We want to share our political views and how we feel about this whole situation. Yesterday, they were protesting mainly in support of Blue Lives Matter, but I’m a supporter of Black Lives Matter,” Alisha Pravasi ‘21 said. “I think it’s a really important movement and that we’re going through a second Civil Rights movement in a way, so it’s important to support that because even history has supported the fact that Civil Rights Rights movements are supposed to happen and that they have good results.”
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
Kayla Mash ‘21 beams at a fellow protestor who shows her their newly completed poster at Paintbrush Park Sept. 18. A small group of protestors met at Paintbrush Park at 4:00 pm, before the protest from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm. “This is a counterback to the Trump rally we saw yesterday. We’re protesting with all of the policies that have come along with the Trump administration,” Mash said. “We are the future of everything.” (photo by Kira Zizzo)
At Paintbrush Park, Amanda Brauchler ‘21 makes her finishing touches on a sign for the upcoming anti-Trump protest Sept. 18. Brauchler and Jacob Aragon’ 21 organized protests every Friday after this protest. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
On the intersection of Quebec and University, Jacob Aragon ‘21 protests in favor of presidential candidate, Joe Biden at an anti-Trump protest Sept. 18. Aragon’s “Barbs for Biden” sign displayed support as a “Barb”, which signified that the Nicki Minaj fanbase endorses Joe Biden. “Until teenagers are able to vote, it’s a really easy way and impactful way for people to show their voice in the government. Being able to rally together in a common message and show your voice and show how loud you are is really important, especially at our age,” Aragon said. “Educate yourself, go out and vote, and find something you’re passionate about.”
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
At the anti-Trump protest outside the post office, Isabella Broome ‘21 advocates for LGBTQ+ rights Sept. 18. Anti-Trump protestors were met with equal parts agreement and opposition from passing cars. “I believe in equal rights and I want to spread love and positivity because I feel like yesterday there was so much hate on this corner and at this intersection that I wanted to counterbalance that with love,” Broome said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
At the intersection between University and Quebec, Sara Smith ‘21 and other protestors rally against Trump’s presidency in opposition to a second term Sept. 18. Smith’s message was that voters should settle for voting for Joe Biden, even though he was not her ideal Democratic candidate. “We have the most important voice, we’re the people who will be voting this election and the next. We’re the ones who are posting on Twitter and Instagram about things…young people have the influence and they need to take advantage of that,”Cate Collins ‘21 said.
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
Amanda Brauchler ‘21 raises a homemade sign at the anti-Trump protest she and Jacob Aragon ‘21 organized at the intersection between University and Quebec Sept. 18. Brauchler created promotional posters that were shared on multiple social media platforms intended to encourage other students to join the protest. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
Jacob Aragon ‘21 protests against President Trump outside the post office Sept. 18. After a pro-Trump rally the day before, Aragon and Amanda Brauchler ‘21 were inspired to launch a counter-protest. “Throughout this entire year, there’s been a lot of people giving out their voice when it comes to issues they’re passionate about and the other day we saw people who support our current president, so we got their voice, so we wanted to gather some people and speak in opposition to that and exercise our rights,” Aragon said. “We’re speaking out spreading love, we’re speaking about voting, settling for Biden, all about love and respect for people and their races and all of that.”
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
At the anti-Trump protest at the intersection between Quebec and University, Delaney Boston ‘21 expresses her opposition to the possibility of President Trump having another term as president. An hour into the protest, bystanders supplied protestors with water and refreshments. “I think this election is so important and I think that lives are literally on the line here. A lot of us are new voters this year and it’s important that our voter registration and voter turnout is high because we can make such a big difference and it’s important that all of us get the word out and vote” Boston said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
Tanner Leonard ‘21 protests in favor of LGBTQ+ rights at the anti-Trump protest at the intersection between University and Quebec Sept. 18. This group of protestors held another protest at the Highlands Ranch Parkway and Broadway intersection Sept. 25. “It’s important to get active politically when you’re younger because it shows people not only what the future will look like with what political views people will line themselves up with, but it’s also important to show that this is what the future is going to be, that the future generation thinks this is right and it’s the direction we’re going to go in,” Alisha Pravasi ‘21 said. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
Among fellow protestors at the anti-Trump protest outside the post office, Jana Seal ‘20 encourages the public to vote Sept. 18. Voter registration is open to U.S. citizens 16 years or older and accessible here: https://vote.gov/. “It’s so important for teenagers to be interested in politics when they’re younger because that means that they’re going to be voting,”Isabella Broome ‘21 said. “It’s so important for younger generations to get their voice out there, especially in the upcoming elections.”
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
Anna Bakken ‘21 displays three protest signs in a balancing act during the anti-Trump protest outside the post office Sept. 18. By the end of the protest, over 20 people gathered at the intersection between University and Quebec in opposition to President Trump. “I believe it’s valuable to respect all races and all people of any color, gender, or ethnicity, or anything. It’s valuable that people recognize that and we need to stop white supremacy,” Rosa Lee ‘21 said.
(photo by Kira Zizzo)
Amanda Braucher ‘21 protests against Donald Trump and urges passing cars to vote for Joe Biden outside the post office Sept. 18. The protest originally consisted of Rock Canyon students, but strangers from the street and students from other schools soon joined the protest. (photo by Kira Zizzo)
On the intersection between University and Quebec, Gabrielle Bauer ‘21 holds up a sign in protest of President Trump Sept 18. Before the protest, she met up with other protestors at Paintbrush Park to create signs for this anti-Trump protest. “I don’t think we should have elected officials that support racist or sexist policies,” Bauer said. “It’s important to remember that any person of any age can use their freedom of speech and it’s important to speak up no matter who you are.” (photo by Kira Zizzo)