Wrestling: Back in Action After Quarantine

One week after being released from their team-quarantine, the wrestling team faced Rangeview High School.

media by Lily Hansen
Jack Cuthbert ‘22 lifts his opponent during his match Feb. 20. Cuthbert lifted his opponent several times before losing his match. “It’s tough coming back from two weeks of quarantine but you just got to give it all you got,“ Cuthbert said.

by Lily Hansen, Contributing Reporter

Two boys tested positive and sent the whole team into a stay-at-home-quarantine. The team had to do their best to limit their possible exposure to the Coronavirus. That included either staying home on their cohort days or being extra careful in public areas. The quarantine also meant that they could not participate in after-school practices or wrestle in meets.

The original date of the Battle of the Ranch against Highlands Ranch High School, Thunder Ridge High School, and Mountain Vista High School was moved up from Feb. 20 to Feb. 18. The RC team would not have competed in enough meets by Feb. 18 to be able to compete in the Battle of the Ranch, so instead, they scheduled a meet against Rangeview High School Feb. 20.

“Hearing that the Battle of the Ranch ha[d] been moved up a few days was angering, especially knowing that we could have made the original day it was planned for,” Ryan Gerlitz ’22 said. “It’s something we all trained hard for and is one of the biggest events of our season, so not having it is disappointing.”

The varsity matches of the dual meet were tied by the end of the night 33-33. After much discussion with the announcers and coaches, they decided that the team with the most falls would win, and Rangeview High School won 3-2.

The team took a moment to honor their teammates for Senior Night Feb. 20, recognizing Jack Basche, Travis Glenn, William Kochevar, and their parents for their hard work and dedication to the wrestling program.

The boys still have more upcoming meets Thursdays and Saturdays. Check out their schedule here.