Wrestling COVID-19: How the Wrestling Team is Adapting

How the Wrestling season has been affected by the Coronavirus.

by Lily Hansen, Contributing Reporter

CHSAA moved the start of Season B (winter sports) up to January 18.

“Every time [CHSAA] changes we have to change our schedule. Hopefully this one sticks,” Head Wrestling Coach Tim Hill said. 

Off-season (commonly known as preseason) wrestling practices were offered and recommended for athletes to begin training and conditioning every Tuesday and Thursday Jan. 5 to Jan. 14 until the official season started. 

“I felt happy that we would even get a season for wrestling. Having a preseason is just icing on the cake. I thought that whenever school started up back in August there would be no wrestling at all,” Cooper Stanley ‘22 said.

To follow the Colorado of Public Health & Environment guidelines, many changes have been made to high school sports because of COVID-19. Temperatures are taken outside of the Wrestling Room before practice and the band hall door is open for ventilation. While warming up and doing an after-practice jog, the boys all have to wear masks. But during partner practices, it is not required by the state and to wear masks. The CPHE states that it is alright for wrestlers to not wear masks when they’re in a match either. However, if one member of the team or a coach were to test positive, the entire team would have to undergo a two-week quarantine. This includes missing in-person days assigned to students’ individual cohorts. Wrestlers are to refrain from any unnecessary activities that could cause more exposure to the virus.

“I think that the policy of having a two-week quarantine for everyone on the team if one is positive for COVID-19 is angering but helpful. It’s angering in the way that it takes away a few meets with other schools, but I also know that it is necessary and helpful because without it COVID-19 could easily infect all of us, and then to others,” Ryan Gerlitz ’22 said.

Wrestling 2021 Schedule:

• Jan. 28 vs. Legend High School @ 6:00 p.m. (Home)
  • Jan. 30 vs. Chatfield Senior High School, Chaparral High School, and Mullen High School @ 10:00 a.m. (Away at Chatfield Senior High School)
  • Feb. 3 vs. Smoky Hill High School @ 6:00 p.m. (Home)
  • Feb. 6 vs. Cherry Creek High School, Columbine High School, and Douglas County High School @ 10:00 a.m. (Away at Cherry Creek High School)
  • Feb. 11 vs. Cherokee Trail High School @ 6:00 p.m. (Home)
  • Feb. 13 vs. Thornton High School, Rangeview High School, and Fairview High School @ 9:00 a.m. (Away at Thornton High School)
  • Feb. 17 vs. Castle View High School @ 6:00 p.m.
  • Feb. 20 BATTLE OF THE RANCH  vs. Highlands Ranch High School, Thunder Ridge High School, and Mountain Vista High School @ 6:00 p.m. (Away at Highlands Ranch High School)
  • Feb. 24 vs. Heritage High School @ 6:00 p.m. (Away at Heritage)
  • Feb. 27 vs Regis Jesuit High School (Away at Regis Jesuit High School)
  • Mar. 6/7 REGIONALS vs. Pomona High School, Pine Creek High School, Heritage High School, Denver East High School, Rampart High School, Broomfield High School, Fort Collins High School, Mountain Range High School, Mountain Vista High School, Cherry Creek High School, Arvada High School, and Fountain Fort-Carson High School @ TBD (At TBD)
  • Mar. 13 STATE TOURNAMENT @ TBD (At TBD)
Ryan Gerlitz ‘22 performs a double-leg takedown on Bodey Sherrill ‘24 Jan. 18 in the wrestling room. The boys didn’t have to wear masks when doing one-on-ones with each other during practices and meets. “Masks were the thing I was concerned about the most when the season started. When news came that we no longer had to [wear them] in intensive practices, it was a relief, but it also meant that all of us had to be safer outside. As much as wrestling is an individual sport, not letting the team down by getting sick or getting others sick is the top priority,” Gerlitz said. (photo by Lily Hansen)
Noel Crowther ‘22 takes down Davis Kendrick ‘22 during a three-second live during practice Jan. 18. The wrestlers all partnered up to practice double-leg takedowns. “I’m honestly thankful it was pushed back, as it was needed for us to have a season. It also gave the team and myself more time to prepare for the season. Whilst the masks can be a bit of a hassle, I’ve found it’s been helping build up my endurance. Despite the annoyance of it, it’s what’s necessary to ensure the team has a season and that everyone is safe. For that, I’m thankful the coaching staff and school has taken the precautions to keep us all safe,” Crowther said. (photo by Lily Hansen)
Jaden McGowan ‘22 and the wrestling team warm up with push ups for practice Jan. 18. The previous season’s team captains led the boys in a circle of calisthenics. “It’s important to warm up your body as well as your mind before a wrestling match or before giving it your all in the wrestling room, because it allows you to loosen up, get in the right mindset, and decreases the chances of injuries,” McGowan said. (photo by Lily Hansen)