Mr. Newman’s Homecoming Advice

by Julia Reeder

Those of us who have had Mr. Newman for various science courses and electives are familiar with his infamous homecoming advice. During the month leading up to homecoming, Mr. Newman begins his classes with a little chat about the upcoming dance.

When asked what brought about this annual tradition, Newman recounted one class he had in the past in which many students, specifically freshman, had some concerns about this special event. Some upperclassmen within the course had some advice to offer to the 9th graders themselves, thus inspiring Mr. Newman to give each of his classes an opportunity to learn from himself and others the knowledge you need to have the best homecoming possible.

The science teacher spaces out his homecoming advice to create the best platform possible to help his students prepare for the dance. He does this by beginning the first few chats with pre-homecoming arrangements. This includes tips for making dinner reservations, when to buy a dress/rent a tux, and helping to come up with creative ways to ask out your date. His advice ventures through those topics all the way up to the week right before homecoming, when Newman begins teaching table manners, calculating tip, general hygiene, and last minute comments for how to make homecoming the best dance of your life.

Some of us aren’t so lucky as to have had Newman as a teacher yet, and there are plenty of freshmen in need of advice for their very first dance. Mr. Newman would like to say to anyone not present for his advice this year, “When people go to homecoming, the rest of the world is watching– outside the doors of Rock Canyon.” So, Jags, listen to your teachers and upperclassmen, and take this advice to heart, make this homecoming a safe one.

Mr. Newman’s tips, for those unable to hear from the man himself, will be posted on Rock Media’s Twitter page, @RCRockMedia– just check the hashtag #MrNewmansHomecomingAdvice.