FRIDAY FACULTY FEATURE: Gregory Thomas’s Personal Training Business

A look into special education assistant Gregory Thomas’s life inside and outside school.

media by Bronny Cooper

Special education assistant Gregory Thomas stands next to the art wall Sept. 1. Thomas goes to classes with different students throughout the day. “[I go] to classes with them to make sure they are getting their needs met and help when needed with their assignments. Anything to help them feel comfortable in their classes along with keeping them from the feeling of being overwhelmed,” Thomas said.

by Bronny Cooper and Anya Strobel

While students laugh and talk, special education assistant Gregory Thomas makes jokes as he walks across the SSN classroom. 

Q: What is your job here at school? 

A:  I am an educational assistant in the SPED (special education) department.

Q: What does the day-to-day look like for you?

A: Usually I will probably have two to three students I am assigned to help throughout the day. Consisting of going to classes with them to make sure they are getting their needs met and help when needed with their assignments. Anything to help them feel comfortable in their classes along with keeping them from the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Q: If someone wanted to find you where are you during the day?

A: I can be found during the day with my students in their classroom, SPED offices, or the SSN room hanging out with my buddy KING David.

Q: What’s your favorite color? 

A: Blue.

Q: What is your favorite part about working here?

A: Honestly being able to work with so many different kids, so many different personalities. Having the opportunity to get to know each and every one of them to achieve their individual goals.

Q: Why do you wear earrings?

A: It’s part of my personality and style. It looks good and it’s a little bit straightforward about business. I like to shine, it’s just my style. I like to look good, feel good, [and] teach good.

Q: What would you do if you couldn’t take this job?

A: I am my own boss and I have had my own personal training business for the past five years. So, if I wasn’t working in the school, I would just do that all day, every day, and create more opportunities for athletes in Colorado.

Q: So is this like a part time job? 

A: Let’s count both as full time!

Q: What do you do for your own business?

A: I am a personal trainer, but more than anything, I am trying to change the person that comes to me. Part of my company name is Renovation Studio; meaning change. From day 1 with a new client, I devote my time and efforts to exploiting the weaknesses and turn them into strengths. I basically want to help them achieve their goals however I can. Whatever your goals are, that’s my job.

Q: What’s your favorite tattoo? 

A: My favorite is probably Zoe (my daughter) or the Gorilla. 

Q: How many tattoos do you have? 

A: 12.

Q: Are any of them colored?

A: Is shaded a color? Then they’re all shaded. 

Q: What is Channel.4? 

A: Channel.4 is my nickname, it was given to me when I played pro football. My number was always four. They said, “when I played it was like I put on a show.” They started yelling, “tune in to channel.4.” So I kind of ran with it and created my own business out of it. Everyone calls me C4. I love gorillas, I like to say that I am, or I act like a gorilla. That’s a whole different story,  so that’s the meaning behind that. 

Q: Where did you use to play football?

A: The last time I played was for Austin Wilde, in Austin, Texas. I played for them for two years while I graduated college, so I was taking my final courses in college and also playing at the same time so it was pretty, pretty fun. 

Q: How many houses do you have?

A: I have two apartments. One in Colorado Springs and one in Aurora.

Q: Why?

A: I work in Denver, and my gym location is in Englewood, but my girls all stay in Monument. A lot of times I get off late and don’t want to drive an hour home and turn around and do it again in the morning.