Five Things to Know About Valor’s Rugby Club

A few things to know about Valor’s Rugby club team that Rock Canyon students call home.

media by Audrey Rea

by Daniel Zilligen and Audrey Rea

Typically a popular English sport, rugby is often forgotten within the list of activities partaken by students. However, Valor Christian High School hosts a few of Rock Canyon’s own students on their Rugby Club’s roster. Here’s what you need to know: 

1. There aren’t enough players per school in Douglas County School District (DCSD) for each to have their own team, so schools combine and compete against other districts.
  2. Valor Rugby consists of students from high schools such as Rock Canyon, Highlands Ranch, Mountain Vista, Valor, and Cherry Creek. 
  3. The team plays 7 vs. 7 players because they don’t have enough competitors to play the typical 15 vs. 15. “I think a big challenge for us especially during sevens season is to get commitment from our players. Unfortunately, have to compete with football in the fall, which takes away a lot of our boys,” assistant coach Maddi Lane said. 
  4. The team has four coaches. Head Coach Guy Mumford and Assistant Coach Maddi Lane lead the team as a whole, while Forwards Coach Jim Boyle and Backs Coach Daryl Lane focus on positional instruction. “I feel as though you can never work enough on the basics. Passing and catching are the foundation of this game and arguably the most important skills,” Lane said. 
  5. The next and final game of their fall season is Oct. 22 on Highlands Ranch High School’s (HRHS) soccer and football fields at 9 a.m. Finals are 9 a.m. Nov. 5 at the HRHS soccer and football fields. Non-players must pay a $5.00 fee to attend.