Winter Break Breakup

Students and staff discuss their excitement and stressors of returning to school in the new semester.

Students+sit+together+during+lunch+to+talk+to+each+other+Jan.+19.+After+two+weeks+of+winter+break%2C+they+began+to+all+eat+together+in+a+group+again.+%E2%80%9C%5BBeing+back+has%5D+been+great%2C+I+missed+seeing+my+friends+at+school+and+the+energy+from+them+is+great%2C%E2%80%9D+Keilani+Longwell+%E2%80%9825+said.+

media by Ally Kelley

Students sit together during lunch to talk to each other Jan. 19. After two weeks of winter break, they began to all eat together in a group again. “[Being back has] been great, I missed seeing my friends at school and the energy from them is great,” Keilani Longwell ‘25 said.

by Ally Kelley, Graphics Editor

Hundreds of students roam the halls, sleepily talking amongst themselves. Their brains focus on trying to stay awake when a loud ringing bursts through the halls. The students drag themselves to their first period. After two weeks of sleeping in, staying home or going on vacation, school starts bright and early, at full force. 

“[Starting classes was] pretty hard, like you have to start all over again,” Mon Intongk ‘24 said.

With so many classes handing out homework, students’ assignments pile up along with stress and exhaustion. According to a poll conducted by @rcrockmedia’s Instagram on Jan. 26, out of 111 students, 30 percent of students say they are spending three to four hours on homework per night. 10 percent of students say they spend five or more hours on homework. Raegan Synk ‘23’s days have already been filled with work from her classes. 

“So far this semester, it’s been crazy. I’ve already gotten an essay that was due today, and I have projects already,” Synk said. 

With classes and teachers changing, students have to find their way through a new schedule. Their daily rhythm has to adjust to this semester’s new normal. Harper Bezemik-Aguilar ‘26 has to navigate a new schedule now that her teachers and classes have changed.

“It’s been a little confusing, since I’ve been so used to having my classes from the first semester, but it’s also been really fun. It’s nice starting fresh with new classes,” Bezemik-Aguilar said. 

Although starting classes can be difficult, there is still a bright side to going back to school. Seeing friends can brighten up the stress of returning. Nicholas TeSelle ‘25 was excited to catch up with his friends after break.

“It feels great, I honestly should have texted with them more while we were on break but it was really cool to see everyone again, ” TeSelle said.

Sophie Tefft ‘26 and Victoria MacColl ‘26 talk as they eat lunch together Jan. 19. The two girls, like many students, hadn’t been able to see each other in person since before the break. “Break was really fun, but getting back to school meant I could see my friends again,” MacColl said. (photo by Ally Kelley)

Switching classes can offer benefits, as students could get new classes with friends or without people they didn’t get along with. But even without switching many classes, students can still keep up good spirits with friends. Sophia Bobier ‘24 only has friends in a few classes, but listens to music to keep up a good mood.

“I have a friend in one of my classes, it’s very nice to have them there. In my other classes I don’t really know anyone,” Bobier said. 

After the freedom of break, faculty members also have to return to their jobs and teach. However, math teacher Karen Bukowski has a positive attitude and looks forward to teaching. Bukowski is prepared to start the new semester with her new classes. 

“I am really excited to come back to school and for a great spring semester. I have excellent students and I really quite missed them over that break,” Bukowski said.