FRIDAY FACULTY FEATURE: Grace Sims’ Escapades in Athletic Training

A glimpse into the life of Athletic Training teacher Grace Sims.

Athletic+Training+teacher+Grace+Sims+adjusts+the+leg+of+the+athletic+training+skeleton+Feb.+22.+She+explained+how+special+the+human+skeleton+is.++%E2%80%9CI+love+it+because+it+shows+all+different+parts+of+the+body%2C+bones%2C+muscles%2C+and+blood+vessels%2C%E2%80%9D+Sims+said.++

media by Elly Brooks

Athletic Training teacher Grace Sims adjusts the leg of the athletic training skeleton Feb. 22. She explained how special the human skeleton is. “I love it because it shows all different parts of the body, bones, muscles, and blood vessels,” Sims said.

by Elsa Swanson and Elly Brooks

You walk into Athletic Training and sit at your desk. Grace Sims walks in with a smile, greeting you, then asks about your day. She immediately starts talking about her crazy adventures as the athletic trainer and what kind of injuries she’s dealt with. 

Q: What do you teach?

A: I teach Athletic Training One and Two.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: I have been working here since I started teaching, which was eleven years ago. 

Q: How did you decide you wanted to teach athletic training?

A: When I was in high school and I took it as a PE elective, I’d never heard of the profession. But, I liked it so much that I ended up going into college with that as my major. 

Q: Do you have any pets? 

A: Yes, I had two Shelties. One’s name is Quincy. Then, I unfortunately lost one. Her name was Riley.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

A: I love “Chronicles of Narnia,” the music is amazing. It’s just one of those movies that when I watch it, I’m filled with happy thoughts. I love “Tangled,” it is so funny I will just sit there and laugh every time I watch it.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: I like a lot of foods. My dad is a really good cook. So, whenever he makes anything, it’s amazing. His latest thing that he’s been making is a lot of Greek lemon chicken, it’s phenomenal. 

Q: What is your least favorite food? 

A: Okra is nasty, it’s slimy and disgusting. Unless you fry it, then it’s not that big of a deal. I don’t like lima beans, which some people find weird. 

Q: What is your craziest student story?

A: I’ve had several students have medical episodes in my class and I feel really bad for them. But, if you’re going to have a medical issue, my class is probably the best place to do it. Several years ago, we had an individual who went to a neighboring high school who got transferred to Rock Canyon, and when we got into our ankle-taping unit, they had a broken leg that they were recovering from. So they were like, “hey, I can’t have anybody tape this ankle because I just had surgery.” And I was like, “okay, well, that’s fine, we can use your other ankle.” And they go, “well, I actually have a parole bracelet on that ankle.” I was like, “oh.” So the story is, they actually broke their leg hopping over a fence running from the cops. So as a result, they could not participate in being a taping model. 

Q: What is your craziest family story?

A: My dad drove a tow truck from Chicago to Colorado to propose to my mom because that was the only way he could get home.