Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

The Week in Photos: Nov. 4-Nov. 10

A view into students’ lives in and out of school this week.
Black & Gold Yearbook Photography Editor Hannah Rozen ‘25, The Rock Online Newspaper Editor-in-Chief Claire Bauer ‘24 and Social Media Managers Elly Brooks ‘25 and Sanaa Sow ‘25 celebrate the publications’ national wins with a photo at the National Student Press Association (NSPA) Boston Convention Nov. 4. In total, The Rock Online and Black & Gold won 11 national awards, including two first place national wins from Bauer in Sports Game/Action Photo of the Year and in Photo Slideshow of the Year. “I can’t even begin to describe how I feel about the awards. Not only was I incredibly happy and humbled to receive my six national awards, but I am so, so proud of my fellow staffers who won awards, and honestly proud of the whole staff. They’re all amazing and fully deserve these awards,” Bauer said. “Our trip to Boston was incredible. We all learned so much from the sessions we attended and the people we met, whether that was other students and advisers or reporters and professors from top-notch groups. We were excited to represent Canyon, the district and Colorado as a whole so well.” Read the full story here. Reporting by Sanaa Sow (media by photo courtesy of Anna Bauer)
Natalie Patterson ‘26 fixes a prop purse for the fall play, “Murder on the Orient Express,” Nov. 7. “Murder on the Orient Express” shows in the auditorium on Nov. 15, 16 and 17. “I am on props and I like being in the crew because I get to see the behind-the-scenes of shows. I’ve enjoyed working on ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ because the set and props are very cool for this play, and it’s awesome to see everything coming together,” Patterson said. Reporting by Baylie Van Horn Turnidge (media by Baylie Van Horn Turnidge)
Allie Moroni ‘25 presents her group’s horror story to other National English Honor Society (NEHS) members in Andrew Watkins’ room during Access Nov. 7. In order to maintain membership and cord, each NEHS member was required to complete one book club, one writing activity and one miscellaneous activity per year. The horror story activity counted as credit for the writing activity requirement. “I decided to go to this NEHS event because I needed to for the requirements of the club,” Moroni said. “My favorite part was being able to write the story with my friends because it was very funny and random.” Reporting by Sanaa Sow (media by Sanaa Sow)

Colorado Mesa University (CMU) soccer commit Olivia Barrett ‘24 shakes Athletic Director and Assistant Principal Tom Brieske’s hand in the gym during National Signing Day Nov. 8. A total of 13 students signed to play sports including baseball, volleyball, beach volleyball, swimming, basketball and soccer in college. During this ceremony, Brieske gave a speech to all the athletes before giving each coach time to speak about each athlete individually. After Principal Andrew Abner made the closing speech to thank the athletes, coaches and families for their support, athletes signed and celebrated with their friends and families. “During Signing Day, it felt really awesome to put my name down and represent the Mesa beach team at Rock Canyon,” CMU beach volleyball commit Ava Blanco ‘24 said. “I am the first collegiate beach athlete to commit [from] Rock Canyon, so that was super exciting. Also, to know that I’m officially signing to such an awesome college [is exciting].” Reporting by Quinn Barton (media by Quinn Barton)
Zoology teacher Nikki Dobos dissects a frog during her second-period Zoology class Nov. 8. Zoology students dissected frogs and found things such as their eggs and past meals inside them. The class had five different dissections throughout the semester to learn about biodiversity and phyla. “I like teaching kids about animals and facts about animals they didn’t know before, but also the importance of biodiversity,” Dobos said. “I think more students should take [Zoology], especially if you love animals and dissections because you can learn more than just general [animal] knowledge.” Reporting by Quinn Barton (media by Quinn Barton)

Varsity girls volleyball setter and captain Addie Waller ’24 celebrates with her teammates during a game against Pine Creek High School (PCHS) at 6:30 p.m. at the Denver Coliseum Nov. 9. The team began State tournament games on Nov. 9 as the third-ranked team in Colorado. The Jags lost to PCHS 3-0, then won 3-2 against Cherry Creek High School in the consultation bracket. On Friday, Nov. 10, the team played Chaparral High School and lost 3-0. The season ended with a 21-7 win/loss record for the Jags. “My favorite part of State was playing in front of the whole Coliseum with so many schools and people there to watch us,” varsity setter and pin hitter Logan Cary ’26 said. “It wasn’t too hard to not be upset because everyone at the tournament was very good and deserved to be there, so really, seeds don’t matter a bunch. Being an underclassman was very exciting because not many get to do it. There is so much support from teammates and spectators which makes such a good environment.” (media by Quinn Barton)
Allie Moroni ‘25 writes a peer review for Peter DeFilippo’s third period AP Language and Composition class Nov. 10. The class was instructed to present their “The Best” presentations to help them work on their argument skills for the argumentative essay they will be learning in the coming weeks. “I was writing my peer review form for the people that were presenting. I gave a presentation about why ‘The Office’ is the best show. I feel pretty good about it because my slides were fun and I know a lot about the show since I’ve watched it a bunch,” Moroni said. Reporting by Elly Brooks (media by Elly Brooks)