Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

The Art of Henna at Walk for Wishes

Students line up as henna artists create magic through temporary tattoos.
media by Bella Lin
Saanvi Kirdak ‘26 performs henna on Tvisha Hariharan ‘24 at the henna station during Walk for Wishes March 2. Students waited for their turn and sat as henna was drawn on their skin. The paste had to dry before being peeled off to reveal a variety of patterns in the form of temporary tattoos. “I really like [henna],” Hariharan said. “First of all, henna has a lot of health benefits, so it’s really nice to see it as an option for a lot of activities, especially since there’s such a large Asian community here. It’s really great to see that.”

Lines and swirls cover hands and wrists as the ink sets in and designs form.

At the Walk for Wishes event March 2, there were a variety of activities offered for students, staff and community members alike. 

Students decorated their hair with colorful tinsel, purchased snacks from food trucks, shopped from various little stalls and much more.

The henna station, run by Saanvi Kirdak ‘26 and Nakshatra Biju ‘26, provided their own service. They, along with their friends, allowed students to experience the art of henna.

The blue banner for henna tattoos hangs up on the cafeteria windows during Walk for Wishes March 2. The event lasted from 9 a.m. in the morning to 1 p.m. in the afternoon. Prices ranged depending on the difficulty of the designs, reaching up to thirty dollars. Multiple students worked together in order to provide the service. “I just want people to experience Indian culture,” Biju said. “Since henna is very cultural, I just want people to be able to experience it.” (media by Bella Lin)

The tradition of providing this service began through a talk between Biju and her Seminar teacher during her freshman year. 

“My Seminar teacher, she saw henna on my hand, and she was like ‘Oh, did you do that?’” Biju said. “She was like ‘You should totally do that for the walk!’ and I was like, ‘You know what? Sure!’” 

This year, she and Kirdak both spent time recruiting fellow peers with the ability to perform henna art, purchased the necessary equipment and prepared for the event. 

They, as well as other students who planned on doing henna, arrived at the school the day of Walk for Wishes around 8:30 a.m. and set up in the back of the cafeteria. The station officially began offering henna tattoos at 9 a.m. 

Students lined up and waited their turn to receive their tattoos. Prices for patterns varied depending on complexity and size. Simple designs were $1 to $4, semi-complex were $5 to $9 dollars, complex were $10 to $15, while full hand patterns cost up to $25. Students either chose patterns out of pictures displayed on paper, or searched for references on their devices for the henna artists to replicate.

The artists were kept busy with customers for the entirety of the event, and the service raised over $200 by their conclusion at 1 p.m. that afternoon.

“A lot of people are coming, they love henna,” Kirdak said. “I feel it’s a good way to get a tattoo without actually getting a tattoo. It’s very cultural, it’s very fun to do as well.”

Henna will continue to be provided during this upcoming week’s Accesses.