Recent Scores
  • Apr 22 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 13, Mullen High School - 3
  • Apr 19 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, Chatfield High School - 5
  • Apr 18 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 7, Cheyenne Mountain High School - 8
  • Apr 16 / JV Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 10, ThunderRidge High School - 3
  • Apr 15 / Varsity Girls LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 12, ThunderRidge High School - 20
  • Apr 15 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 15, ThunderRidge High School - 5
  • Apr 13 / JV Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 2
  • Apr 13 / Varsity BaseballRock Canyon High School - 6, Grandview High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys LacrosseRock Canyon High School - 9, Cherokee Trail High School - 7
  • Apr 13 / Varsity Boys VolleyballRock Canyon High School - 0, Ponderosa High School - 3
Rock Canyon High School's Student Newspaper

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

the Rock Online

Follow Us on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

the Rock (@rcrockmedia) • Instagram photos and videos

Follow Us on Twitter

Good Students Go Beyond Academics

See what fellow Jags are doing to get community service hours.

Class of 2024 is nearly done with high school, but passing grades alone won’t get them to graduation.

According to Douglas County School District guidelines, every student must also have 20 hours of community service logged in HelperHelper by March 22 to graduate. 

There are many opportunities for service hours.

Cassie Watkins ‘25 participated in blood donations and sold snacks at the snack stand at basketball games. She learned about the opportunity to donate her blood through Key Club, a school club sponsored by Christina Geis, and heard about the basketball snack stand from friends who also sold snacks at basketball games. 

Chloe Bishop ‘24 restocks the soda cart in the back office of the SSN room March 5. SSN students sell drinks, snacks and candy during access and rotate through responsibilities each week. The students have professional punch cards and a job board in the SSN classroom to help divide the work schedule. “I have loved the time spent in front of the student body as I am serving and getting to know them all better,” Bishop said. (media by Gabe Mascitti)

Senior Chloe Bishop lettered in community service, with over 100 hours. She earned most of her hours volunteering for the SSN candy cart, a fundraiser for the special needs classroom that raises money to pay for their field trips and activities.

Bishop runs the credit card machine, stocks the items, sells items for cash and learns job skills. 

“I have loved the time spent in front of the student body as I am serving and getting to know them all better,” Bishop said. 

Akshit Praksh ‘26 volunteers at the Douglas County Library and SkyRidge Hospital with friends. At the hospital, Praksh cleans, and at the library, he tutors kids at a summer camp and helps to set up for birthday parties and events. He’s trying to letter in community service with 100 hours by graduation and wants to add community service to his resume to help with college applications. 

For seniors, service hours are due by Friday, March 22. This is a permanent deadline and mandatory to graduate this year.

School counselor Leah Thomsen talks to students Bailey Hanson ‘26 and Anthony Canino ‘26 at the volunteer board March 6. The board provides resources for students to find jobs and service hour opportunities. “I believe that community service is a good requirement as it gets students to think outside of themselves and think of the world around them and connect with their community,” counselor Leah Thomsen said. (media by Gabe Mascitti)

There is a bulletin board located in the main hallway with different opportunities to serve. The counselors also can help work with the students to find creative ways to get their 20 hours.

“All Douglas County students are required to fulfill a 20-hour community service requirement in order to graduate. I believe that community service is a good requirement as it gets students to think outside of themselves and think of the world around them and connect with their community,” counselor Leah Thomsen said.

For those who find that they enjoy serving, 20 hours might just be a start. If students reach 100 or more hours, they can even letter in Community Service. See the form for more information on lettering.

A graphic displays the steps to log service hours into HelperHelper. (media by Gabe Mascitti)